Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by Glen Daniels <gd...@allaire.com> on 2000/11/22 17:46:14 UTC

Terminology, requirements, and the F2F meeting

Hi all!

Clearly, a bunch of the different proposals and architecture ideas that are
out there have some different ways of describing very similar concepts.  I
think one of the main purposes of the F2F meeting is going to be to allow
the proponents of the various ideas to discuss them in real-time, and
hopefully come to a common design that the whole team agrees on.

With that in mind, I'd like to propose the following schedule for
consideration.

PRE-MEETING
-----------
Work on requirements, and try to nail them down
Review extant architecture/design proposals

MEETING AGENDA
--------------
o Introductions / review agenda (10 min)
o Review and discuss requirements (25 min)
o Architecture overviews (90 min?)
  <break>
o Discussion of architecture proposals,
  terminology, and hopefully coming to
  a consensus on a design (rest of available time)

POST-MEETING
------------
o Adjourn to nearby bar, and consume good alcohol :)
o Write up meeting, summarize to list
o Write up consensus architecture
o Discussion of next steps (initial coding, division of labor, etc)

Some notes:

As suggested by Sanjiva, I've put in a bunch of time for the authors of the
various architecture specs to present their ideas to the group.  I figure if
we each take about 20 minutes, it shouldn't be ridiculously long - also,
there will be a good bit of overlap, so that will help speed things up too.
At present, I believe it would be good to have presentations from -
Yuhichi/Ryo, Steve, James, and Glen.  Are there others who would like to
present as well?

The idea of this schedule is to focus on what I mentioned in the 1st
paragraph, useful discussion geared towards resolving the differences in the
various proposals for the 3.0 architecture.  I think the requirements should
be worked on ahead of time to provide us with a good framework within which
we can operate.

I also explicitly removed all the discussion about next steps from the
actual meeting agenda, since I think just discussing the architecture is a
big enough bite to chew.  I do expect some of this type of discussion to
occur while we're together, but I don't want to count on it.  If we end up
discussing it at the bar or on Thursday, that's grand.

So - what do you all think?

--Glen

Re: Terminology, requirements, and the F2F meeting

Posted by Jean-Noel Gadreau <jn...@activcard.com>.
Sounds a good plan to me.

Regards,
Jean-Noel

Posted by Jean-Noel Gadreau <jn...@activcard.com>.
I would also propose that if someone has a digital camera, it is great
to take a picture of a white board, rather than spending time to write
it down. Anybody that can bring a camera ?

Jean-Noel

Posted by Jean-Noel Gadreau <jn...@activcard.com>.

Posted by Jean-Noel Gadreau <jn...@activcard.com>.
Sounds a good plan to me.

Regards,
Jean-Noel

Posted by Jean-Noel Gadreau <jn...@activcard.com>.
I think it could be a good idea to have a presentation of PDOM. That
could clarify things on what it is, how it will work and what it brings.

Just as a side note, I think it should remain "another DOM
implementation" that can be used in AXIS, so that we can start on
existing DOM, and then later, change the parser (I guess we want to have
parser independance as a req.) and use the PDOM implementation when it
is ready.

Jean-Noel

Posted by Jean-Noel Gadreau <jn...@activcard.com>.

Posted by Jacek Kopecky <ja...@idoox.com>.