Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Saddest OfAllKeys <ke...@yahoo.com> on 2002/03/22 20:48:54 UTC

scaling

Is Jetspeed being architected so that it can scale?

Does anyone have an experience or anecdotal evidence
regarding load testing of a Jetspeed app?

I'm blown away by Jetspeed, but my bosses are going to
have serious questions before I can use it for my
project.

Mike
keyofdminor@yahoo.com

ps. I know this is a dev list versus a user list but
I'd like to hear from a real hands-on guru, hence my message.

RE: scaling

Posted by Saddest OfAllKeys <ke...@yahoo.com>.
re: small democracy. Cool... Btw, I made a semantic
leap in my message: I didn't mean that I could help
out as a benevolent dictator! Just meant I might be
able to lend a hand...

Can you elaborate a bit on clustering Jetspeed?  I'm
not sure if I understand.

thanks,
Mike

--- David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com> wrote:

> > Thanks for the quick reply.
> >
> > It sounds like a lot of the app needs to be
> > multithreaded.
> >

> There is multithreading:
> - The Tomcat pipeline (or whatever app server), get
> that for free.
> - in the delivery of feeds, disk cache mgr
>
> But not in the aggregation engine specifically per
> request
>
> > Is there an overall plan to go in this direction?
>
> I wouldn't say plan, more an understanding that we
> will address it
> sometime.
>
> > Does this project have a benevolent dictator?  I
> might
>
> We had Kevin, the project founder and architect, but
> that was before my
> time.
> Now we are a small yet balanced democracy, which is
> nice.
>
> > be able to help out.  I must admit I'm new to the
> > whole Jakarta scene.
> >
> > thanks,
> > Mike
> >
> > --- David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
> wrote:
> > > We've added PSML into the database, Im doing the
> > > same for registries
> > > now.
> > > Goal is clustering Jetspeed
> > >
> > > The aggregation engine is good, I did some
> > > performance tuning on it
> > > recently.
> > > I'd like to take a few days sometime and try to
> tune
> > > the engine.
> > > Areas of improvement:
> > > -- payload is always dependent on the slowest
> > > portlet.
> > > -- there is no timeout on a portlet to generate
> its
> > > content
> > > -- all portlets content is aggregated on the
> same
> > > thread.
> > > -- caching of portlet container elements
> > >
> > > We have caching built into to most of the major
> > > features.
> > > IMO the logging is excessive, we should do
> something
> > > like
> > >
> > > If (loggingON)
> > > 	log("big long string constructor" + blah)
> > >
> > > Instead of
> > >
> > > Log(""big long string constructor" + blah)
> > >
> > > Don't know how much that will improve speed,
> have to
> > > test it
> > >
> > > Jetspeed logs the basic aggregation cycle to the
> log
> > > file
> > > Look for things like:
> > >
> > > [Fri Mar 22 11:08:40 PST 2002] -- DEBUG --
> > > PortletFactory.getPortlet():
> > > took a total of 0 millisecond(s) ->

-1653569551|template-hello|action-portlets.HelloAction|text-Hello

RE: scaling

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

RE: scaling

Posted by Saddest OfAllKeys <ke...@yahoo.com>.