Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com> on 2016/09/25 15:57:08 UTC

Master, branches and versioning

(Renaming thread to keep it separate from RC vote)

If you're asking why there's a version 2.0.2 in JIRA, it's because we
have to have that entity in order to target anything to version 2.0.2.
2.2.0 exists as well as version labels in JIRA. None are marked as
'released' because there is no such release, but it makes perfect
sense to have a noun to talk about in JIRA.

There may never be a 2.0.2 software release. But anything committed to
2.0.x after this point will be released in 2.0.2 _if it does get
released_.
If 2.0.2 happens it may happen before or after 2.1.0; that's normal. I
suspect it would happen after, if ever, and I expect the next actual
software release chronologically will be 2.1.0.

I think this is all standard software procedure; what's the confusion?

There is no formal plan for when which releases happen, so I don't
think anyone can answer that definitively. I happens when it happens
by loose consensus.

The -Pmesos change is not in branch-2.0 and therefore would not be in
any 2.0.x release.