Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Oberhuber, Martin" <Ma...@windriver.com> on 2008/05/15 22:28:39 UTC

Commons Net 1.5 / 2.0 Releases

Hi all,

just wondering, what's currently holding off a release of Commons Net
1.5 / 2.0?

Many issues have been sorted out after the last release candidates, when
can
we expect a new RC to review? Is there anything particular that I could
help
with?

Cheers,
--
Martin Oberhuber, Senior Member of Technical Staff, Wind River
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm

Re: Commons Net 1.5 / 2.0 Releases

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 20/05/2008, Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 7:36 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Would you be able to try the patches I just attached to NET-220?
>  >
>  > That should be enough to make the TFTPServer class threadsafe, and may
>  > address the shutdown problem.
>

> Didn't help with the issue I'm seeing.

OK, thanks for trying.
But presumbly it did not make things worse?

>  When on the topic of TFTPServer, I have to agree with James Carmans on
>  that it's out of scope for commons-net and should be moved to
>  src/test/java.
>
>  I'll commit my fix with using unique port numbers for now.

Not sure I agree with that - it's just ignoring the problem.

Unless it can be shown that it is due to a bug in Java on Ubuntu, then
I think the problem really needs to be fixed before releasing 2.0.

Posted by "Oberhuber, Martin" <Ma...@windriver.com>.
Right,

since there seems some community need for this,
I'm not going to stand in its way.

Thanks for working towards a release!

Cheers,

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Rory Winston <ro...@gmail.com>.
Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Oberhuber, Martin
> <Ma...@windriver.com> wrote:
>
>> The backward compatibility question you mention was about the
>> suggestion to refactor the Commons Net "small protocol"
>> implementations into separate packages each:
>>

> Oh, that was not my understanding. But since there hasn't been such a
> change (besides to separate FTP client JAR) I guess we're good to go
> in this aspect.

This change was done months ago (for 2.0 at least).

Rory

Re: Commons Net 1.5 / 2.0 Releases

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
<Ma...@windriver.com> wrote:
> The backward compatibility question you mention was about the
> suggestion to refactor the Commons Net "small protocol"
> implementations into separate packages each:

Oh, that was not my understanding. But since there hasn't been such a
change (besides to separate FTP client JAR) I guess we're good to go
in this aspect.

> I was not in favor of such a costly, breaking change which
> doesn't buy much, so I'd vote for going forward towards
> a release. Can you put up a release candidate?

That's my plan unless someone objects. I'll have one up as soon as my
home internet connection is back online *grumbles about lousy ISPs*

/niklas

RE: Commons Net 1.5 / 2.0 Releases

Posted by "Oberhuber, Martin" <Ma...@windriver.com>.
Thanks Niklas.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 27/05/2008, Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 8:02 AM, Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> wrote:
>  > On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 11:27 PM, Rory Winston <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >> I meant to say "out of the project". It was moved to test/ after the
>  >> discussion.
>  >
>  > Great, so it seems we agree :-) However, the class is still in
>  > src/main, not in src/test:
>  > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/net/branches/NET_2_0/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/net/tftp/TFTPServer.java
>  >
>  > Should I move it to the test directory?
>

> If no one objects I'll go ahead and move it to src/test.

OK by me.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Rory Winston <ro...@gmail.com>.
Sorry Niklas

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Rory Winston <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 19/05/2008, Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 11:59 PM, Rory Winston <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Are we ready to cut another RC? I can do so if you guys are happy with where
>  > we're at.
>

> I still got this issue:
>  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NET-217
>
>  I haven't look into any depth at why it's happening, but changing the
>  test to using unique ports for each of the tests (6900, 6901, 6902...)
>  make JUnit all happy. Should I commit this fix? With it, I would be
>  happy to see 2.0 released.

I think I saw the same error, but only once, so I assumed it was
something else happening on my system.

If it's occurring regularly, then there may be a problem with
releasing the port from previous tests in the same class.

However, I have just seen a problem in the TFTPServer code - the
constructors call launch() which creates a new thread and starts it.
This is not thread-safe, as the class is not guaranteed to be fully
constructed until after the constructor has completed. There are some
other thread-safety problems too; I'll raise a JIRA.

I don't know if it relates to the test failure or not - I suppose the
unsafe constructor could mean that shutdown does not happen reliably.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 5/17/08, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 10:59 PM, Rory Winston <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Martin/Sebb
>  >
>  > Are we ready to cut another RC? I can do so if you guys are happy with where
>  > we're at.
>

> I just ran the build on both the trunk and net 2 branch - all looks
>  good - the only thing I noticed is for 1.5/trunk the clirr report is
>  now highlighting the changes[1][2] to make some fields final:
>   http://people.apache.org/~niallp/net/clirr-report.html
>
>  Personally I think this is OK since the fact those were not final
>  originally was a mistake.

<snip/>

A highly conspicuous note about this somewhere towards the beginning
of the release notes would be good to have.

-Rahul

Posted by Rory Winston <ro...@gmail.com>.
Great! Thanks for the feedback, Niall.

Cheers
Rory

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rory Winston <ro...@gmail.com>.
 >Niklas, I dont see anything wrong with using unique ports for the TFTP
JUnit tests - feel free to commit to the 2.0 branch.

That is, unless Sebb's changes fix the issue.

Rory

Posted by Rory Winston <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Oberhuber, Martin" <Ma...@windriver.com>.
Hi Jörg,

Good point -- but in my environment (Eclipse), transitive
Deps are a non-issue since OSGi provides multiple classloaders
So I can live with ACN 1.5 and 2.0 at the same time even if
They have mutually incompatible implementations of the same
Class in the same namespace.

I'd rather like to have the ability to choose ACN 1.5 or
2.0 when my app happens to use only such parts of the lib
That happen to have changed in a non-breaking manner.
I cannot see why moving to Java5 forces binary breaking
Changes -- after all the Java5 collections can be called
>From older Java too thanks to the concept of Erasures.

Of course I'm not talking about forced backward compatibility
In all cases. This is a major release, and it's one for good
Reason. I'm just talking about not breaking compatibility
Unless there is good reason for doing so.

And refactoring those small protocol impls into separate
Namespaces each is not a good reason IMHO. But perhaps
Somebody could argue to convince me why this is a good
And important thing?

Cheers,

Posted by Jörg Schaible <Jo...@Elsag-Solutions.com>.
Hi Martin,