Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2007/11/23 10:34:56 UTC

Ideas for tasks for trainees

Hi,

I'll very probably have an opportunity to coach some young trainees
that want to find out how open source works, in the next few weeks.

The idea is to have these people (ages 15-18 I guess, so not much
prior technical knowledge) help us by working on relatively simple and
well-defined tasks (about 2-3 days of work for each task), and I'm
looking for ideas for such tasks.

Here are the ideas that I've come up with until now:

Sling and microsling logos
Create two related logos for Sling and microsling, in vector format.

microsling: create a basic ESP tutorial
Create a tutorial (one HTML page) that demonstrates the basic
principles of ESP, using 10 to 20 small and focused examples. The
tutorial demonstrates how to mix markup (HTML) and code (javascript),
how to use if statements, loops, functions, etc. but does not go into
detail of how to access content.

microsling: ESP + JCR tutorial
This tutorial (one HTML page) is about how to access content using the
JCR api (JSR-170) in ESP pages running on microsling. The tutorial
consists of 10 to 20 small and focused examples. The tutorial
demonstrates how to use the JCR API in ESP pages to navigate the
content repository, how to render the child nodes of a content node,
how to search the content repository, and generally how to take
advantage of JCR whithin ESP.

More ideas are welcome!

-Bertrand