Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Harald Kirsch <Ha...@raytion.com> on 2014/07/29 10:39:44 UTC

SolrCloud without NRT and indexing only on the master

Hi all,

from the Solr documentation I find two options how replication of an
indexing is handled:

a) SolrCloud indexes on master and all slaves in parallel to support NRT
(near realtime search)

b) Legacy replication where only the master does the indexing and slave
receive index copies once in a while.

What if I don't need NRT and in particular want the slave to use all
resources for query answering, i.e. only the master shall index. But at
the same time I want all the other benefits of SolrCloud.

Is this setup possible? Is it somewhere described in the docs?

Thanks,
Harald.

Re: SolrCloud without NRT and indexing only on the master

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for the confusion between "legacy" and "traditional", it's just
sloppy terminology. There's no sense of "don't use this" with traditional
M/R replication. In fact, when SolrCloud nodes need to catch up with their
indexes if they're very out of sync, this is still used. So it's definitely
supported/maintained, feel free to use it as you see fit.

In (b) above, do note that you're right, copying the segments down is a
background, I/O task. That said, opening a new searcher is as intensive in
that case, perhaps even more so since I don't think that "soft commits"
happen. Note that soft commits are cheaper than hard commits, still not
free though. So you'll gain back some of what you lose in CPU cycles by
indexing through cheaper commit operations.

Under any circumstances, you're right that indexing on each node will add
some load.

You haven't outlined what the indexing load will be, and in (bI) you say
"i) Indexing will draw more than 20% CPU. Thereby it would start competing
with query answering"

I urge you to measure that. If your indexing rate isn't great, this may be
a false assumption. That said,
measuring is the only way to be sure.

And an alternative: Rack a couple more pieces of hardware in the mix and
just use SolrCloud, thus distributing the
query load across a couple of more machines.

But before you even do that, I'd try it and see. Indexing isn't necessarily
that expensive, but it depends of course.

Best,
Erick

Posted by "Ramkumar R. Aiyengar" <an...@gmail.com>.
I agree with Erick that this gain you are looking at might not be worth, so
do measure and see if there's a difference.

Also, the next release of Solr is to have some significant improvements
when it comes to CPU usage under heavy indexing load, and we have had at
least one anecdote so far where the throughput has increased by an order of
magnitude, so one option might be to try that out as well and see. See
SOLR-6136 and potentially SOLR-6259 (probably lesser so, depends on your
schema) if you want to try out before the release.

An another option is to use the HDFS directory support in Solr. That way
you can build indices offline and make them available for all your Solr
replicas for search. See batch indexing at
http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/Search/latest/Cloudera-Search-User-Guide/csug_introducing.html

Posted by Harald Kirsch <Ha...@raytion.com>.
Hi Daniel,

Posted by Daniel Collins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harald Kirsch <Ha...@raytion.com>.
Thanks Erick,

--
Harald Kirsch
Raytion GmbH

Re: SolrCloud without NRT and indexing only on the master

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mikhail Khludnev <mk...@griddynamics.com>.

--
Sincerely yours