Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jason Johnston <EP...@epa.state.il.us> on 2002/09/24 18:24:42 UTC

Retrieving ServletContext Objects via PageContext

This may be a stupid question but I'm just starting to use custom tags and I'm running into a strange problem.  I'm using a DBCP for a mySQL database and my setup servlet places a handle to the pool in the ServletContext via the setAttribute() under the name "dbPool."

Now other servlets can retrieve the pool handle fine and get a connection and do their business.  However my tag, which extends TagSupport can't seem to find the pool.  Initially, I used getServletContext.getAttribute("dbPool").  Of course, I got a compile error telling me that there is no such method.

After some reading, it appeared that what I'm looking for should be available via
the pageContext.getAttribute("dbPool",pageContext.APPLICATION_SCOPE);

However, I'm still not getting a handle on the DB Pool.  I know there's probably somethings fairly simple I'm missing here, either syntax or concept.  Could someone give me some insight.  Thanks.

RE: Retrieving ServletContext Objects via PageContext

Posted by jon wingfield <jo...@mkodo.com>.
The following will work:

pageContext.getServletContext().getAttribute("dbPool");