Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> on 2007/06/08 06:41:26 UTC

Support for running selenium-maven-plugin on headless Unix systems

Hi folks, I've added some support to use the selenium-maven-plugin on
headless Unix systems.  Its only lightly tested, but wanted to let
y'all know about it so you can go and test it more for me (hehe).

I've added a new `selenium:xvfb` goal, which will fire up an Xvfb
server and then propagate the DISPLAY to the `selenium:start-server`
goal.  Some basics docs on that are here:

     http://mojo.codehaus.org/selenium-maven-plugin/examples/headless-
with-xvfb.html

And the goal docs are here:

     http://mojo.codehaus.org/selenium-maven-plugin/xvfb-mojo.html

It basically evolves a new goal execution to run xvfb before start-
server... and since Xvfb is not happy unless run as root, you need to
make Xvfb SUID, or create a wrapper script to invoke it using sudo or
something (and override the executable parameter).

Initial testing seems to indicate it works well.  Some bits to try
and detect a free X11 display to use is in there too.

Hopefully Apache Geronimo will help test this out more for us (since
that is who I whipped it up for).  But if anyone else wants to give
it a whirl and provide feedback that would be great too.

New 1.0-beta-2-SNAPSHOT artifacts are deployed in the usual place.
This also includes 0.9.2-SNAPSHOT of the Selenium bits... need to
wait for them to release that before I can release the plugin,
hopefully everything will work out and that will be soonish.

Oh, and there is a new Jira project for this plugin here:

     http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSELENIUM

So, if you find any problems or want to request a new feature please
file it there.

Cheers,

--jason