Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.co.il> on 2008/07/10 18:45:31 UTC

Re: translated faq.html into Japanese.

Ping.  Nobuyoshi, have you been set up with commit access yet?

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
"MIYOKAWA, Nobuyoshi" <n-...@Tempus.ORG> writes:
> | Done in r32397, and thank you for the help.
> |
> | (Feel free to change it if it should be better, of course.)
>
>   Thank you for your kindness. I'm very happy to see 日本語
> links!

Me too!

Re: translated faq.html into Japanese.

Posted by "MIYOKAWA, Nobuyoshi" <n-...@Tempus.ORG>.
From: Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>
Subject: Re: translated faq.html into Japanese.
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 14:09:57 -0400

| Done in r32397, and thank you for the help.
|
| (Feel free to change it if it should be better, of course.)

  Thank you for your kindness. I'm very happy to see 日本語
links!

  Best Regards,
--
MIYOKAWA, Nobuyoshi

Re: translated faq.html into Japanese.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by "MIYOKAWA, Nobuyoshi" <n-...@Tempus.ORG>.
Hi Karl,

From: Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 12:54:31 -0400

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com> writes:
> Could write up that bug report and send it to feedback@tigris.org?  (I
> don't understand the language-selection mechanism well enough to write
> the report properly, I think.)

I meant to write "Could you write up..." (addressing Jens).

-K

Re: translated faq.html into Japanese.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
Jens Seidel <je...@users.sf.net> writes:
> Could it be related to JavaScript usage in this file?

No, there is no JavaScript in www/faq.html, beyond what's included via
<script type="text/javascript" src="branding/scripts/tigris.js"></script>

> I thing a proper solution is to analyse the problem, to fix it and
> later revert to using "faq" without ".html". This is probably a
> common problem for all tigris projects so should we open a bug report
> on the site itself or has anyone a idea what is happening?

Could write up that bug report and send it to feedback@tigris.org?  (I
don't understand the language-selection mechanism well enough to write
the report properly, I think.)

In the meantime, a good solution is just to add explicit links, which I
will do.  Nobuyoshi, is "日文" good text for a link to a Japanese
version of a document?  In other words, I'd like to put

   "(日文)"

...next to the link to the FAQ on the front page, and also put it on the
FAQ itself; both will link to faq.ja.html.  Then on faq.ja.html, I'll
put a link saying "(English)" to the English version.

Let me know if I've got the right kanji.

Thanks,
-Karl

Re: translated faq.html into Japanese.

Posted by Jens Seidel <je...@users.sourceforge.net>.
On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 09:22:38AM +0900, MIYOKAWA, Nobuyoshi wrote:
> Thank you for your comments.  And I'm sorry for passing over
> your very important suggestion(and for my late response...).

Indeed, strange thinks happened which I didn't expected and have never
seen.

> I reverted index.html to original one for keeping good
> navigation assistance, as you suggested me.

It's still reproducable be manual selecting either
http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html
or
http://subversion.tigris.org/faq
Good ...

Could it be related to JavaScript usage in this file?

I thing a proper solution is to analyse the problem, to fix it and
later revert to using "faq" without ".html". This is probably a
common problem for all tigris projects so should we open a bug report
on the site itself or has anyone a idea what is happening?

Jens

Re: translated faq.html into Japanese.

Posted by "MIYOKAWA, Nobuyoshi" <n-...@Tempus.ORG>.
Hi Karl,

Thank you for your comments.  And I'm sorry for passing over
your very important suggestion(and for my late response...).

I reverted index.html to original one for keeping good
navigation assistance, as you suggested me.

I had two choices to add a link to faq.ja.html.  One is to
create two language links of FAQ separately, such as:

    FAQ (answers to Frequently Asked Questions): (in
    English/in Japanese)

and another is to rely on preferred-language selecting
system of Web server.

The former one is loosing current cool layout, and because
the many people prefer to select 'in English' link, it looks
wordy for me and I selected later one.  But loosing
navigation assistance is completely not my intention.  Sorry
for your inconvenience.

My only desire is to add a link to Japanese FAQ page near
English one, and other language translators can follow this
scheme.  So I'm willing to hear any suggestions about it and
to obey to list's consensus(of course!).

Best Regards,
--
MIYOKAWA, Nobuyoshi

From: Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 17:49:46 -0400

| "MIYOKAWA, Nobuyoshi" <n-...@Tempus.ORG> writes:
| >   I updated index.html at r32370.  Thank you for good
| > suggestions and kindly support.
|
| Hi, Miyokawa Nobuyoshi.  I didn't see this thread until after r32370,
| and when I saw that revision I responded:
|
|    > Why is this change desirable?
|    >
|    > In my browser, going to "faq" displays the faq without any of the
|    > usual tigris.org stuff around it, but going to "faq.html" shows the
|    > FAQ in its usual tigris.org context.  The latter is preferable,
|    > because of the navigational assistance the tigris context provides.
|    >
|    > My browser is: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1)
|    > Gecko/2008070206 Firefox/3.0.1 running under Debian GNU/Linux.
|    >
|    > Also, if we *were* going to change from "faq.html" to "faq" --
|    > which I don't think we should, but just assuming we were -- then
|    > wouldn't we have a lot of other places to make the same change?
|    >
|    > I think this change should be reverted now and at least discussed
|    > first.
|    >
|    > Thank you,
|    > -Karl
|
| I now have more understanding of why you made the change, but I'm still
| not sure it's a good idea, because of the reasons described above...
|
| Best,
| -Karl
|

| > From: "MIYOKAWA, Nobuyoshi" <n-...@Tempus.ORG>
| > Subject: Re: translated faq.html into Japanese.
| > Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 21:42:48 +0900 (JST)
| >
| > | Hi lists,
| > |
| > | I'm sorry, but I could not have time to spend for Subversion
| > | just for my personal matters.
| > |
| > | I'd like to put a link to faq-ja.html within index.html.  As
| > | Jens suggested(thank you very much!), tigirs sever tries to
| > | send us correct 'faq' file, which is based on our browser's
| > | proffered language setting.
| > |
| > | Of course, tigris server sends us original English page if
| > | we don't specify any language settings or there is no faq
| > | page which matches our language settings, so there is no any
| > | undesirable effect for other people.  Also, the file name of
| > | original English page remains 'faql.html', so there is no
| > | problem if someone try to fetch this page with direct link.
| > |
| > | For these reasons, I'd like to change the 'faq' link which
| > | is in index.html to 'faq' from 'faq.html'.
| > |
| > | If there is no problem, I'll modify this file or I'm very
| > | happy if you suggest me any idea.
| > |
| > | Thank you for your kindness!
| > | --
| > | MIYOKAWA, Nobuyoshi
| > |
| > |
| > | From: Jens Seidel <je...@users.sf.net>
| > | Subject: Re: translated faq.html into Japanese.
| > | Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 21:27:54 +0200
| > |
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.

From: "MIYOKAWA, Nobuyoshi" <n-...@Tempus.ORG>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 21:42:48 +0900 (JST)

| Hi lists,
|
| I'm sorry, but I could not have time to spend for Subversion
| just for my personal matters.
|
| I'd like to put a link to faq-ja.html within index.html.  As
| Jens suggested(thank you very much!), tigirs sever tries to
| send us correct 'faq' file, which is based on our browser's
| proffered language setting.
|
| Of course, tigris server sends us original English page if
| we don't specify any language settings or there is no faq
| page which matches our language settings, so there is no any
| undesirable effect for other people.  Also, the file name of
| original English page remains 'faql.html', so there is no
| problem if someone try to fetch this page with direct link.
|
| For these reasons, I'd like to change the 'faq' link which
| is in index.html to 'faq' from 'faq.html'.
|
| If there is no problem, I'll modify this file or I'm very
| happy if you suggest me any idea.
|
| Thank you for your kindness!
| --
| MIYOKAWA, Nobuyoshi
|

| From: Jens Seidel <je...@users.sf.net>
| Subject: Re: translated faq.html into Japanese.
| Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 21:27:54 +0200
|
| | On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 01:20:16PM +0900, MIYOKAWA, Nobuyoshi wrote:
| | > I committed faq.ja.html, which is based on faq.html@32010,
| | > into www directory(at r32078).  Thank you for all dev-list
| | > member's kindly support!
| |
| | Great!
| |
| | > And I would ask someone who has permission to modify
| | > index.html to add link this file, please?
| |
| | It seems the tigris.org server supports content negotiation. Just open
| | http://subversion.tigris.org/faq in your browser and you should get your
| | translation if you selected Japanese as default.
| |
| | To use this content negotiation all .html suffixes should be removed
| | from URLs so that links to faq can be resolved to faq.ja.html.
| |
| | See again http://www.debian.org/intro/cn for details.
| |
| | PS: Please avoid top postings.
| |
| | Jens
| |

Re: translated faq.html into Japanese.

From: Jens Seidel <je...@users.sf.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 21:27:54 +0200

Posted by Jens Seidel <je...@users.sourceforge.net>.

Posted by "MIYOKAWA, Nobuyoshi" <n-...@Tempus.ORG>.
Hi lists,

I committed faq.ja.html, which is based on faq.html@32010,
into www directory(at r32078).  Thank you for all dev-list
member's kindly support!

I'm sorry, but this file has not reviewed by Japanese po
translator yet(I've got in touch with nori, but, of course,
I think, he is so busy).  I appreciate any suggestion and/or
corrections from someone who is interested in Japanese.

And I would ask someone who has permission to modify
index.html to add link this file, please?

Thank you.
--
MIYOKAWA, Nobuyoshi

From: "MIYOKAWA, Nobuyoshi" <n-...@Tempus.ORG>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 18:14:46 +0900 (JST)

|   Thank you for good support.
|
|   Ok, I'll put my file into www dir initially, then, after
| getting list's consensus , I'll rename or move it right
| place.
|
|   Thank you.
| --
| MIYOKAWA, Nobuyoshi
|

| From: Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>
| Subject: Re: translated faq.html into Japanese.
| Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 21:17:48 -0400
|
| | "MIYOKAWA, Nobuyoshi" <n-...@Tempus.ORG> writes:
| | >   So sorry for my laziness and thank you for pinging me :-).
| | >
| | >   I set up my commit access last weekend and currently
| | > reviewing translated one.  I have plans to catch up with
| | > latest faq.html and commit to the repos this weekend
| | > (finally!).
| | >
| | >   Where should I put the trlanslated one?  Could I create
| | > new 'ja' dir under 'www/' and put it into as faq.html?
| | >
| | >   And should I be reviewed it with some Japanese people?
| |
| | Oh, there was some question about how to name these files.  Should it be
| |
| |    www/ja/faq.html
| |
| | or
| |
| |    www/faq.ja.html
| |
| | or something else?  If there is a widespread standard for this, we
| | should probably follow it...
| |
| | However, don't let this debate slow you down.  Just pick whichever one
| | you want and start there.  We can always rename the file later if we
| | decide to!
| |
| | -Karl
| |

Re: translated faq.html into Japanese.

From: Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 21:17:48 -0400

Posted by "MIYOKAWA, Nobuyoshi" <n-...@Tempus.ORG>.
  Sorry for my snail response.

From: Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.co.il>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 08:50:57 +0300 (Jerusalem Daylight Time)

| Can you please add yourself to COMMITTERS now?

  I updated COMMITTERS with my name(r32074).

| >   And should I be reviewed it with some Japanese people?
| >

| If possible, then yes.  We already have a Japanese po translator (nori),
| who might be able to help.

  Ok, I'll contact 'nori' and some other Japanese commiters.

  Thank you for your good suggestion!
--
MIYOKAWA, Nobuyoshi

From: Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.co.il>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 08:50:57 +0300 (Jerusalem Daylight Time)

| MIYOKAWA, Nobuyoshi wrote on Fri, 11 Jul 2008 at 08:49 +0900:
| >   So sorry for my laziness and thank you for pinging me :-).
| >
| >   I set up my commit access last weekend
|
| Can you please add yourself to COMMITTERS now?
|
| > and currently
| > reviewing translated one.  I have plans to catch up with
| > latest faq.html and commit to the repos this weekend
| > (finally!).
| >
| >   Where should I put the trlanslated one?  Could I create
| > new 'ja' dir under 'www/' and put it into as faq.html?
| >
| >   And should I be reviewed it with some Japanese people?
| >

| If possible, then yes.  We already have a Japanese po translator (nori),
| who might be able to help.
|
| Daniel
|
| >   Thank you.
| > --
| > MIYOKAWA, Nobuyoshi
| >

| > From: Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.co.il>
| > Subject: Re: translated faq.html into Japanese.
| > Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 21:45:31 +0300 (Jerusalem Daylight Time)
| >
| > | Ping.  Nobuyoshi, have you been set up with commit access yet?
| > |

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > |

Re: translated faq.html into Japanese.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.co.il>.

From: Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.co.il>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 21:45:31 +0300 (Jerusalem Daylight Time)

| Ping.  Nobuyoshi, have you been set up with commit access yet?
|
| MIYOKAWA, Nobuyoshi wrote on Wed, 25 Jun 2008 at 09:13 +0900:
| >   Hi Karl,
| >
| >   Thank you for your offer.  I'm very happy to integrate it
| > with your web site.
| >
| >   I reply with 'yes', of course :-).
| > --
| > MIYOKAWA, Nobuyoshi
| >

| > From: Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>
| > Subject: Re: translated faq.html into Japanese.
| > Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:01:55 -0400

| > |
| > | That's great!
| > |
| > | Would you like to have it live in our repository, and be on our web site
| > | at:
| > |
| > |    http://subversion.tigris.org/ja/faq.html
| > |
| > | ?  If so, we can set you up with the necessary commit access, please
| > | just reply with "yes" if so :-).
| > |
| > | -Karl
| > |