Posted to dev@hudi.apache.org by vino yang <vi...@apache.org> on 2021/03/03 15:37:45 UTC

[DISCUSS] Introduce lgtm to analyze the changes of PR and simplify the cost of code review

Hi guys,

I want to introduce a code analysis service called lgtm[1] in the
community. Recently, in the Kylin community, I found it in my colleague's
PR.[2]

lgtm is a code analysis platform for finding zero-days and preventing
critical vulnerabilities. Some features listed here (copied from its
official website): [1]

   - Unparalleled security analysis;
   - Automated code review
   - Free for open source

We can see that it can be integrated with Github[3] and exist in the form
of a robot triggered by a git hook.[2]

With the development of the community, more and more people participate in
the development of the community, and the workload of the code review has
become more onerous. Introducing it, we can use some of the existing
automated scanning and analysis capabilities to make up for the lack of
knowledge or experience of the reviewer.

WDYT?

Any thoughts and opinions are welcome and appreciated!

[1]: https://lgtm.com/
[2]: https://github.com/apache/kylin/pull/1596#issuecomment-788935493
[3]: https://github.com/marketplace/lgtm

Best,
Vino

Re: [DISCUSS] Introduce lgtm to analyze the changes of PR and simplify the cost of code review

Posted by vino yang <ya...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I configured the lgtm service to let it scan my hudi repository(the mirror
of the official apache-hudi).

It found 50 alerts in the project. And I exported them into a file(sarif
format and attached it as an attachment).

We can use "sarif-web-component"[1]  to view it.

Generally speaking, each alert it found can show you a rule detail page.[2]
However, I can not find a completed rule list.

Best,
Vino

[1]: https://microsoft.github.io/sarif-web-component/
[2]: https://lgtm.com/rules/9980075/

vino yang <ya...@gmail.com> 于2021年3月5日周五 下午5:33写道:

Posted by vino yang <ya...@gmail.com>.

Posted by nishith agarwal <n3...@gmail.com>.
I see, thanks Vino!

Posted by vino yang <ya...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

It did not provide much public information, but gave a description on the
official website:

*“Prevent bugs from ever making it to your project by using automated
reviews that let you know when your code changes would introduce alerts
into your project. We support GitHub and Bitbucket.We put a large emphasis
on reducing the false positive rate of our standard queries, so you won’t
suffer from a torrent of uninteresting alerts every time someone submits
code.”*

From the official website, you can see that it supports mainstream

Posted by nishith agarwal <n3...@gmail.com>.