Posted to dev@rocketmq.apache.org by yukon <yu...@apache.org> on 2017/02/02 14:01:17 UTC

[REVIEW]: Release Apache RocketMQ 4.0.0(incubating)

Hi,

Apache RocketMQ 4.0.0 is a first release version of RocketMQ in ASF, so we
want to mentors, committers and contributors help review and check the RC
before calling a vote:

1.
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/rocketmq/4.0.0-incubating/

KEYS file:

2. https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/rocketmq/KEYS

We are performing a source-only release, please kindly let us know if you
have any advice to help we pass the upcoming RocketMQ community vote and
the IPMC vote.

Regards,
yukon

Re: [REVIEW]: Release Apache RocketMQ 4.0.0(incubating)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Many thanks for your scrupulous check, the mentioned
> file(hs_err_pid87490.log) shouldn't be in the release, the branding issues
> of rocketmq-site and the concerns in README will be resolved before a vote.

As this is your first release, not everything needs to be fixed or be perfect before a vote is called. In fact as long it’s fixed before graduating that’s fine.

Looks to me that the release is in a good shape, there’s some minor branding issues and year wrong in NOTICE and an extra error log file.

There are not serious issues and could even be fixed next release, but also they are easy to fix now :-)

> As for https://github.com/rocketmq, we are considering moving these
> projects into RocketMQ when there are some release versions.

Great! I would consider moving them sooner (before making a release) rather than later. There is likely to be less process involved if you move sooner ie you may need to fill out a software grant to move a large amount of code into the RocketMQ repo.You may also need to get all GitHub users to sign ICLAs if they haven’t done so. IMO it's far better to have active development on those projects here rather than in github.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [REVIEW]: Release Apache RocketMQ 4.0.0(incubating)

Posted by stevenschew <st...@apache.org>.
Hi, Roman, in view of the urgency of the release of the version, I have
been modified here, thank you

Posted by Roman Shtykh <rs...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi,

Posted by yukon <yu...@apache.org>.
Got it, thanks Justin.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Is this process ok?

Sounds good to me.

You may have to wait 24 hours before announcing the release to allow for the mirrors to catch up. Take a look at the last graph on [1]

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/mirrors/

Re: [REVIEW]: Release Apache RocketMQ 4.0.0(incubating)

Posted by yukon <yu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Thanks everyone for this review, this is the TODO list before calling a
vote:

1. Update 2016 to 2016-2017 in notice file.
2. Add notice and disclaimer files to incubator-rocketmq-site.
3. Remove hs_err_pid87490.log from the RC.
4. Polish the README file in RocketMQ repo.

When the TODO list is resolved, we will prepare the RC and upload it to
dist/dev, then call a vote.

After both the PPMC vote and IPMC vote are passed, we will move the RC to
dist/release/, then separately publish to maven, announce the release,
update the rocketmq site.

Is this process ok?

Regards,
yukon

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by yukon <yu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

@Willem

@Justin

> Tags in git are changeable so it best to include a tag and a hash in the
official vote email.

Great idea, we will include a tag and the hash in the vote email:

The tag is here:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-rocketmq/tree/rocketmq-all-4.0.0-incubating
The tag hash is: 5cd35c871d06c21b5fd9f148858ed5a9a27b9d5e

Regards,
yukon

Posted by yukon <yu...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
Looks good, Von. Thank you.

Bruce

--
perl -e 'print

Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: [REVIEW]: Release Apache RocketMQ 4.0.0(incubating)

Posted by Von Gosling <vo...@apache.org>.
Hi Bruce,

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
I don't think it's a problem to leave it for now, but we should not be
linking to it. In fact, I would recommend adding a message to the Github
RocketMQ README to indicate that all project development is now taking

Posted by Von Gosling <vo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Just a quick question about this 4.0.0 release, do we have any binary
release plan?
BTW, we also need a tag to keep tracking the released source.

Willem Jiang

          http://jnn.iteye.com  (Chinese)
Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem