Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Nhan Vo <nh...@smileconsult.de> on 2011/07/12 11:14:02 UTC

Problem with HSSFSheet.getLastRowNum()

Hi all,

I'm writing an application that reads data from an xls file provided by
the customer, in which I use HSSFSheet.getLastRowNum() to determine the
last row that contains the data. However this occasionally fails with a
null exception, as the last row number is bigger than the actual one by
1 (e.g. it tries to read row 110 although the actual last row is 109).

I normally have to get around this by manually creating a new sheet and
then copying the data to it.

I have also tried adding new rows to the sheet by entering arbitrary
text/numbers to some cells below the last row, and it seems the outcome
of HSSFSheet.getLastRowNum() does not work correctly (it sometimes stays
the same, sometimes gives a number that is not correct). I use
OpenOffice Calc for the editing, by the way.

Could someone please give some advice on this? Thank you!

Best regards,

NV

Re: Problem with HSSFSheet.getLastRowNum()

Posted by Nhan Vo <nh...@smileconsult.de>.
Download link of the xls file http://www.mediafire.com/?dzl03z4dl8ge2ac

Sorry, first time in a mailing list +_+

On 7/12/2011 2:11 PM, Nhan Vo wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Sorry there's some mix-up on my part. Adding new rows seems to work
> correctly. It is only incorrect if the number of the modified row is
> smaller than the previous last row number (which itself is wrong).
>
> Please find attached the xls file, with the original sheet and the
> newly created one that contains the copied data.
>
> NV
>
> On 7/12/2011 1:56 PM, Nhan Vo wrote:
>> Yes. POI 3.8 Beta 3 also fails like POI 3.7
>>
>> NV

>>> Have you tried with POI 3.8 beta 3?
>>>
>>> Nick

Msc. Thanh-Trong-Nhan Vo

smile consult GmbH
Vahrenwalder Strasse 7
D-30165 Hannover

Tel: 0511/9357625  Fax: 0511/9357629
Mail: nhanvo@smileconsult.de
Internet: http://www.smileconsult.de

Geschäftsführer: Frank Sellerhoff - Peter Milbradt - Christoph Lippert

USt-IdNr.: DE208857046 - Amtsgericht Hannover HRB 58707

Re: Problem with HSSFSheet.getLastRowNum()

Posted by Nhan Vo <nh...@smileconsult.de>.
Hi again,

Posted by Nhan Vo <nh...@smileconsult.de>.

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.