Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Dandeneau, David J. (LNG-DAY)" <da...@lexisnexis.com> on 2004/03/02 21:28:47 UTC

Dependencies

We are evaluating maven for use at our company, but we are having a
difficult time figuring out how maven's notion of dependencies can work with
our process. The main difficulty is that we need to be able to reproduce a
build at any given time. We are troubled by the idea that the repository is
not source controlled, and therefore could possibly change. Is it possible
to use a standard classpath instead of the maven dependencies? or could you
use a combination?

Right now we make use of clearcase and have a build system constructed
completely of generic Ant scripts. We use clearcase to manage the
dependencies between projects.

How are other organizations using Maven to handle dependencies? What about
dependencies between closely related internal projects? Is it possible to
have a dependency configured to automatically use the latest version, no
matter what the version number is? Is it possible to build a custom remote
repository?

Thanks,
Dave

Re: Dependencies

Posted by "Christopher W. Farnham" <ch...@wrycan.com>.
That depends on what you mean by source controlled.

The dependencies are source controlled in the sense that the
dependencies are recorded in the project.xml file
for each release or build.  At my company we have a company repository
set up that has all of our jar dependencies.

For each build and/or release it pulls the jar files out of the maven
repository.  This is really no different than having
the jars in CVS except it's more explicit, faster, and easier to manage.

Of cource someone could delete your maven repository... but the same
could happen to a CVS repository... so that's a matter of backups.

Christopher Farnham
Senior Consultant at Wrycan, Inc.

chris.farnham@wrycan.com
http://www.wrycan.com