Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Henri Tremblay <he...@gmail.com> on 2015/09/22 15:49:46 UTC

Evaluation the interest of EasyMock at Apache

Hi,

I'm the current lead developer and are mostly maintaining all of EasyMock,
the venerable mocking framework.

I'm thinking about moving it to Apache. My main interest is to find a new
community for it. However, I don't want it to stay in the incubator
forever. So I won't move to Apache if I don't get enough interested
committers.

The goal of this mail is to find out if there is any interest in
collaborating on EasyMock future development.

EasyMock is a great and highly used framework. I want you to help me to
make it greater. I has also the advantage to be a small framework. So it is
easy to understand. The code is mostly clean and is well-tested.

The give you a glimpse of my actual roadmap (which is extremely open):

   - Add more sophisticated verifies (e.g. Mockito style). I think this is
   a great feature that makes the test more readable
   - Java 8 support. Find a nice way to take advantage of Java 8 for mocks
   - Add spies

Interested?

Henri

Fwd: Evaluation the interest of EasyMock at Apache

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
FYI for people interested in testing frameworks:

For the thread:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201509.mbox/%3CCADZL2%3Dt2Cpt5MiGi6GB6ZHtLfoDQ4XF9MTxW7yp5RSGMJpPgGg%40mail.gmail.com%3E

Re: Evaluation the interest of EasyMock at Apache

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the follow up response, Bertrand.

Building community is hard work. Apologize if I my previous comment
sounded like it magically will happen.

Not all potential open source projects are perfectly suitable in the
ASF, so it is totally fair and welcomed to test the water for possible
community interest.

- Henry

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
I don't think we should avoid discussion on the mailing list.

For the current conversation I'd be happy to help.  This feels like
freemarker.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 11:56 PM, Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net> wrote:
> ...Aren't the mailing lists the ideal place(s) to discuss this, not
> in-person meetings?...

I suppose Emmanuel's idea is to have a brainstorm (*) about his idea
at ApacheCon, and come back here with proposals.

-Bertrand

(*) based on last year's experience, http://szechenyispabaths.com/ is
a great place for that ;-)

Re: Evaluation the interest of EasyMock at Apache

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 23/09/15 08:45, Bertrand Delacretaz a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 1:18 AM, Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...you should not worry too much about having the project to be in
>> incubator forever...
> That's assuming the community grows.
>
> https://github.com/easymock/easymock/graphs/contributors shows a huge
> majority of commits by Henri with just a few "drive-by" contributions
> here and there.
>
> Turning that into a more diverse Apache-style community would be
> great, but for that you need people to show up and get involved. From
> this angle I think it makes absolute sense for Henri to gauge interest
> here first.

That is one big problem for established code bases that aren't moving
too much, but are heavily used by many, many developpers.

Not all the projects deserve to go through incubation, and not all the
projects (especially small ones) deserve to be TLP.

We had some discussion lately about moving such projects to a place at
The ASF where they could gather more then 1 or 2 PMC member to vote a
new release, but still be visible. Apache commons could be such a place,
but it's really a group of java libraries. We might need a new TLP for
tools, whatever the languages they are written in (Java, C, Python, etc).

But this might not be the best place to discuss that, maybe we can have
a get together meeting in Budapest

Anyway, +1 for accepting EasyMock at The ASF !

Re: Evaluation the interest of EasyMock at Apache

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi Henri,

Thanks for the interest for moving EasyMock to be in Apache incubator.

All projects coming in incubator should not stay longer than it needs to be.
The main purpose of a project to be in incubator is to help new people
coming to Apache to learn to develop in the Apache Way [1].
This includes building community in open and collaborative ways,
understanding how to make releases, and also proper governancne
conflict resolution among contributors in a project.

So, you should not worry too much about having the project to be in
incubator forever.

Thanks

- Henry

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html