Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Luca Salvatore <Lu...@ninefold.com> on 2013/10/11 00:24:46 UTC

Cloudstack 4.2 GRE isolation

I'm trying to test how GRE isolation works in cloudstack 4.2
I have deployed two VMs In a single zone on two different hosts.
The first VM works fine, however the second VM does not receive an IP address from the virtual router.  It seems the GRE tunnel is not build between the two XenServers so when the second VM boots it is unable to contact the virtual router since it is running on a different host.

The way I have configured the XenServer networking is:
Two physical NICs
One NIC for the Public,Management and storage network, using VLAN isolation
The other NIC for the guest network using GRE.
The guest NIC on the XenServers have an IP and the XenServers can talk to each other over that NIC.

It just seems as though OVS on the XenServers is not building the GRE tunnel, not sure how to troubleshoot this.
Any suggestions?
--
Luca Salvatore
Senior Network & Security Engineer

[cid:7482C0C1-36E7-4CCB-8CA5-720ACD9C856C]

Direct +61 2 8221 7132 | Mobile +61 414 700 383
Email luca@ninefold.com<ma...@ninefold.com> | Twitter @ninefold<http://www.twitter.com/ninefold>

Australia's Cloud | Ninefold<http://www.ninefold.com/>
Sign up in seconds. Start using in minutes. Benefit for years

Re: Cloudstack 4.2 GRE isolation

Posted by Shanker Balan <sh...@shapeblue.com>.
On 11-Oct-2013, at 6:37 AM, Nguyen Anh Tu <ng...@gmail.com>
 wrote:

> Dear Luca,
>
> You can use: ovs-vsctl list bridge "bridge_name" to see ports plugged to
> this bridge. If both VM's NICs are plugged, they should ping each other.

Hi Luca,

I have had an issue (on ACS 4.1.x) in the past where the ping would simply not work but the
GRE tunnels were in place. Restarting OVS fixed it for me.

Sometimes, creating a 2nd VM also makes the tunnels come alive.

Hth.

Regards.
@shankerbalan

--
@shankerbalan

M: +91 98860 60539 | O: +91 (80) 67935867
ShapeBlue Services India LLP, 22nd floor, Unit 2201A, World Trade Centre, Bangalore - 560 055

CloudStack Bootcamp Training on 27/28 November, Bangalore
http://www.shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: Cloudstack 4.2 GRE isolation

Posted by Nguyen Anh Tu <ng...@gmail.com>.
Dear Luca,