Posted to dev@iotdb.apache.org by Yuan Tian <ja...@gmail.com> on 2022/10/31 04:39:07 UTC

Chaneg the name of StandAloneConsensus

Hi, all

Now, we name the consensus which is optmized for only single
replica(actualy this consensus can only support one replica) as
StandAloneConsensus. However, `StandAlone` is ambiguous, it was used
for IoTDB StandAlone version(v.s. distributed version).

So, we decided to change its name, here are some candidates:

1. OneCopyConsensus
2. NoCopyConsensus
3. SimpleConsensus
4. ZereCostConsensus

Do you guys have any suggestions? Or Which one of the above names you voted for?

Best,
--------------
Yuan Tian

Re: Chaneg the name of StandAloneConsensus

Posted by William Song <sz...@163.com>.
Since there’s one replica and do not involve any consensus process, how about we remove the ‘Consensus’ suffix and call it ‘SingleReplica’?

Regards,
Song

Posted by Gaofei Cao <ti...@gmail.com>.
+1 for SimpleConsensus

OneCopy may be ambiguous. SimpleConsensus naming is friendly for new user.

Thanks,
Gaofei Cao

Jialin Qiao <qi...@apache.org> 于2022年11月2日周三 16:08写道:

Posted by Jialin Qiao <qi...@apache.org>.
+1 for SimpleConsensus

Posted by Haonan Hou <hh...@qq.com.INVALID>.
+1 for SimpleConsensus.

Cassandra has a similar `SimpleStrategy`.
See
https://cassandra.apache.org/doc/4.1/cassandra/architecture/dynamo.html#simple-strategy

Best,
Haonan Hou

> On Oct 31, 2022, at 9:32 PM, Jialin Qiao <qi...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> +1 for OneReplicaConsensus
> —————————————————
> Jialin Qiao
> Apache IoTDB PMC
>
> Yuan Tian <ja...@gmail.com> 于2022年10月31日周一 20:08写道:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> After discussing, we think OneCopyConsensus may be better. So I rename
>> it to OneCopyConsensus in this pr
>> https://github.com/apache/iotdb/pull/7832/files
>>
>> Best,
>> ----------------
>> Yuan Tian
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 12:39 PM Yuan Tian <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi, all
>>>
>>> Now, we name the consensus which is optmized for only single
>>> replica(actualy this consensus can only support one replica) as
>>> StandAloneConsensus. However, `StandAlone` is ambiguous, it was used
>>> for IoTDB StandAlone version(v.s. distributed version).
>>>
>>> So, we decided to change its name, here are some candidates:
>>>
>>> 1. OneCopyConsensus
>>> 2. NoCopyConsensus
>>> 3. SimpleConsensus

Posted by Haonan Hou <hh...@qq.com.INVALID>.
+1 for SimpleConsensus.

Cassandra has a similar `SimpleStrategy`.
See
https://cassandra.apache.org/doc/4.1/cassandra/architecture/dynamo.html#simple-strategy

Best,
Haonan Hou

> On Oct 31, 2022, at 9:32 PM, Jialin Qiao <qi...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> +1 for OneReplicaConsensus
> —————————————————
> Jialin Qiao
> Apache IoTDB PMC
>
> Yuan Tian <ja...@gmail.com> 于2022年10月31日周一 20:08写道:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> After discussing, we think OneCopyConsensus may be better. So I rename
>> it to OneCopyConsensus in this pr
>> https://github.com/apache/iotdb/pull/7832/files
>>
>> Best,
>> ----------------
>> Yuan Tian
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 12:39 PM Yuan Tian <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi, all
>>>
>>> Now, we name the consensus which is optmized for only single
>>> replica(actualy this consensus can only support one replica) as
>>> StandAloneConsensus. However, `StandAlone` is ambiguous, it was used
>>> for IoTDB StandAlone version(v.s. distributed version).
>>>
>>> So, we decided to change its name, here are some candidates:
>>>
>>> 1. OneCopyConsensus
>>> 2. NoCopyConsensus
>>> 3. SimpleConsensus

Posted by Jialin Qiao <qi...@apache.org>.