Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com> on 2003/02/21 03:52:36 UTC

RE: [Tapestry-developer] Compare to SOFIA

The Tapestry Developer list is for the developers of Tapestry to discuss the
framework out vote on orders of business.  This message is more appropriate
to the tapestry-users list.

We are aware of the shortcomings of Tapestry (through release 2.3) in terms
of ease of adoption; you should take a peek at Tapestry 2.4 (now in alpha).
It has a huge number of improvements that make it easier to adopt Tapestry
than any other framework I personally know of, without compromising any of
the power of Tapestry.  2.4 should be going to beta in the near future.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components

Posted by "F.R. Da Costa Gomez" <dc...@fixed.com>.
Fair enough, I will try to keep it as straightforward as I can.
I'll start by trying to set the background and follow with the more
specific stuff .

Using old-style classical tech like RDBMS with SQL didn't go down well
with me so I started to look for something more intuitive.
Something more closely related to the point and ask behaviour of a human
(nothing human about SQL). I point at something and say: "Thats what I
want in green with red buttons and ...".
Enter OO which captures the essence quite nicely with its classes/
instances and properties/ attributes. Now the only thing left is
persistent objects (opposed to transient ones).

Long story short. It took me about 3 years and looking at lots of OODBs
before I ended up with GOODS  (http://www.garret.ru/~knizhnik/goods.html).
This open-source OODB is pretty nicely put together, has got C++ AND a
JAVA API and basically works without too much hassle.
I am slapping a self-maintaining index structure on it which allows
point and shoot querying (it smells like it can actually be extended to
Google-like querying) and basically does away with the infamous DBA.
Put a generic poolable dataMgr on it and no worries. Just throw your
object (unstructured query or data) to the DataMgr and it takes care of
the rest.

Now I come to Tapestry. Looking at separation of the UI - LOGIC -
DATA(MGR) structure it should be fairly obvious that Tapestry fitted the
UI - LOGIC bill quite nicely.
Having spent  approx 3 weeks now on Tapestry it seems to me that a Visit
object could be represented by/ linked to a persistent user object
(either with or without its allowed operations).
The BaseEngine would basically take care of 'communicating' to the
ServiceMgr (LOGIC bit) which in its turn does the comming to the
DataMgr. For now this is the rough structure I'm looking at.

As you can see I am NOT worrying anymore about mappings or Obj-Rel
translations or other old-fashioned classic stuff. I just use objects
everywhere (actually I don't even have to worry about an object being
persistent or transient, once I have a handle I just take it from there
as usual).
Sorry if the answer is a tad longish but my persistent object could be
anything and I am just starting to hook it all into Tapestry. I can see
the advantages and possibilities but I DO need to get to grips with
Tapestry pronto (to make things worse I am not a programming whiz just
an economist that knows about problems and programming).

Any comments or constructive remarks are appreciated (though a seperate
thread might be more appropriate)

Cheers
Fermin Da Costa Gomez

Posted by "F.R. Da Costa Gomez" <dc...@fixed.com>.
Just having started with Tapestry a couple of weeks ago I'm now starting
to get to grips with it (using the vlib example).
Howard, your suggestion ... to have a peek at 2.4 ... does that imply
that there are also modifications in the tutorials etc. or do these
changes only become apparent in the example code (like the vlib example).
The reason for asking is twofold:
1. I had better stop going through 2.3 and start with 2.4 &
2. I created a Spindle build.xml that allows me to do more extensive
Eclipse project setup and no-worries Tomcat deployment (could probably
be used for non-eclipse project as well). Maybe I need to start checking
Spindle as well against 2.4.

I have been looking at approx. a zillion ui components to put against my
generic service & oodb-mgr but this seems to be the first effort that
comes close. Thx 4 that.
It looks like my life however will be made even more pleasant by the
fact I'm using persistent objects instead of relational mapping stuff.
If people are interested I can put forward some more info, if not I will
not bother anybody.

Cheers,
Fermin da Costa Gomez