Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org> on 2007/08/27 15:06:12 UTC

Re: [Cocoon 2.2] Why use a shielding repository ?

Olivier Billard wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The Cocoon Maven plug-in can be configured given a
> "useShieldingRepository" configuration parameter. The effect is that all
> JARs / classes are moved from WEB-INF/lib and WEB-INF/classes
> respectively to WEB-INF/shielded/lib and WEB-INF/shielded/classes.
>
> The Cocoon documentation [1] does not explain what is the purpose of
> this configuration option. Can anyone tell me, please ?
> Thanks !

Hmm, I guess to make the change in the classloader hierarchy explicit.

(cc'ing dev - maybe Carsten can tell us about his intentions when he inroduced
the parameter)

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: [Cocoon 2.2] Why use a shielding repository ?

Posted by Olivier Billard <ol...@laposte.net>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>> Olivier Billard wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> The Cocoon Maven plug-in can be configured given a
>>> "useShieldingRepository" configuration parameter. The effect is that
>>> all JARs / classes are moved from WEB-INF/lib and WEB-INF/classes
>>> respectively to WEB-INF/shielded/lib and WEB-INF/shielded/classes.
>>>
>>> The Cocoon documentation [1] does not explain what is the purpose of
>>> this configuration option. Can anyone tell me, please ?
>>> Thanks !
>> Hmm, I guess to make the change in the classloader hierarchy explicit.
>>
> Yes, and to avoid that the app server picks up the classes as well for
> nothing. This is just an optimization parameter. Without it, the app
> server constructs a class path with all jars from the webapp and the
> shielding stuff constructs a child class loader with exactly the same
> class path.
>
> Carsten

OK, thanks for your explanation, Carsten.

(cross-posting this answer to the users list as this answers to my original question.)
--
Olivier Billard

Re: [Cocoon 2.2] Why use a shielding repository ?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

cziegeler@apache.org