Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Mary Jack <ma...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/05 18:37:46 UTC

Rescuing one day's work

Can I just locate changes in a document from one use I've had a USB failure
and don't want to wreck my whole backup doing the document check as it will
have more info than I need.  Anyone got a simple answer, please?

Re: Rescuing one day's work

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 19:37 05/10/2016 +0100, Mary Jack wrote:
>Can I just locate changes in a document from one use I've had a USB
>failure and don't want to wreck my whole backup doing the document
>check as it will have more info than I need. Anyone got a simple
>answer, please?

To get a simple answer you may have to provide a clear question! I
hope your USB - the bus itself - hasn't failed; perhaps a flash drive
has failed? If you have thus lost a file, I don't see how you can
locate anything - at least, not anything which is represented only in
that copy of the file. By "one use" do you mean one editing session?
How could any attempts to recover anything - if necessary carried out
on copies of files - "wreck your whole backup"?

If you mean that you have two copies of a text (Writer) document file
and wish to see what changed were made between them,
o Open one document file.
o Go to Edit | Compare Document... and browse to and Insert the other
document file.
o If you want just to see the changes highlighted, close the "Accept
or Reject Changes" window without responding to its offers.

Or do you mean something else?

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker