Posted to mod_python-dev@quetz.apache.org by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@apache.org> on 2007/05/09 17:19:17 UTC

Re: [VOTE] does mod_python want to be a TLP

Reviving this thread...

After some discussion on the Httpd PMC on this matter, I think we all
agree that we would like to request a general Python TLP of the board.
There are, however, two issues that need further discussion:

1. "Python" is not a good name for this project because "Apache Python"
will just be too confusing and probably infringes on a PSF trademark. So
if you have any creative suggestions, send them in, don't be shy, even if
you think they may sound a little stupid at first :-)

2. The matter of who will be on the initial PMC and who will chair it.
Based on previous responses to this thread, the initial PMC will look at
least as follows:

Graham Dumpleton
Justin Erenkrantz
Jim Gallacher
Nicolas Lehuen
Gregory Trubetskoy

(Anyone else you think should be in the list - please step forward. I
think a prerequisite is prior ASF experience - committer, PMC member or
ASF member or preferably all three)

I volunteer to do the chair role - which basically means watching what we
do and keeping it organized and reporting/recording it.

After some discussion I will summarize what we arrive at and if we all
agree, it will be proposed to the Httpd PMC, who will then vote on it and
then we will submit it to the board.

Grisha

Posted by Ulf Wostner <wo...@cyberprof.com>.
How about naming it PyPache ?

Ulf

Re: TLP Name

Posted by Ulf Wostner <wo...@cyberprof.com>.
+1 for PyPache

Re: TLP Name

Posted by Graham Dumpleton <gr...@gmail.com>.
On 18/05/07, Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy <gr...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 May 2007, Jim Gallacher wrote:
>
> > Quetzalcoatl is still my sentimental favourite.
> >
> > Perhaps I'm overly concerned with potential search problems for
> > Quetzalcoatl, considering that Google is pretty good at figuring out
> > spelling errors. Also the mod_python name will not disappear, as it'll
> > still be used as a subproject name, so people can find us that way.
>
> Yep. I don't think the TLP itself will be searched for, it's always going
> to be subprojects, and most likely over time a search for "Apache Python"
> will take you there (like it does for mod_python currently). And of course
> there is the spelling correction.

I'd tend to agree that the name for the TLP is really only a code name
as such and isn't going to be how people search for things. Thus as
much as it may take me a while to learn to spell Quetzalcoatl (good
thing we have cut and paste), that it is hard to spell is probably not
a problem.

Also, as for the web site URL for the TLP, I'd suggest we should be
okay still using:

  http://python.apache.org

Graham

Re: TLP Name

Posted by Nesan Waran <nw...@gmail.com>.
+1 Scales

Apache Scales sounds simple enough. Although it seems to be an
underdog in this competition.

Re: TLP Name

Posted by Jorey Bump <li...@joreybump.com>.
+1 Quetzalcoatl

Re: TLP Name

Posted by Nick <ni...@dd.revealed.net>.
+1 Quetzalcoatl

Re: TLP Name

Posted by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@apache.org>.
Quetzalcoatl is the winner.

Grisha

Re: TLP Name

Posted by Rob Sanderson <az...@liverpool.ac.uk>.

+1 Quetzalcoatl

Re: TLP Name

Posted by Jim Gallacher <jp...@jgassociates.ca>.
+1 Quetzalcoatl

Re: TLP Name

Posted by Graham Dumpleton <gr...@gmail.com>.
To confirm my vote in correct format:

  +1 Quetzalcoatl

Graham

Re: TLP Name

Posted by "Daniel J. Popowich" <dp...@comcast.net>.
Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy writes:

> On Sun, 20 May 2007, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
> > FWIW, the full name of the TLP will be: "Apache <foo>" - so "Apache
> > PyPache" doesn't roll off the tongue very well...
>
> Yes, Apache PyPache does sound a bit silly. My vote is then:
>
> +1 Quetzalcoatl
>
> Those who have not voted yet (there are hundreds of you, I know) PLEASE
> keep on sending in your votes.

Now that it has been made clear "Apache <foo>" will be the official
name, I would like to CHANGE my vote.  So please REMOVE my previous +1
PyPache and:

+1 Quetzalcoatl

Dan

Re: TLP Name

Posted by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@apache.org>.

Re: TLP Name

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On 5/19/07, Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net> wrote:
> I'd also like to say I think PyPache is _bad_ name - to me, the mangling
> of "Apache" is awkward and unattractive. It's also not at all obvious
> (at least, outside of a strong ASF context) that "pache" relates to
> "apache" - therefore, without the supporting context, I'd mentally
> assign the pronunciation "pie-pash" to the name.
>
> For those reasons, I think Quetzalcoatl, Terrarium, or even Scales
> despite its lack of searchability, would be preferable over PyPache.

Ditto.  The name mangling concerns me a bit.  FWIW, the full name of
the TLP will be: "Apache <foo>" - so "Apache PyPache" doesn't roll off
the tongue very well...  -- justin

Re: TLP Name

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

> So far PyPache seems to be the winner. Terranium is second, Quetzalcoatl
> thrid.
>
> Let's say this vote closes on Wednesday, and please send in +1's for one
> name - statements like "I like both <blank> and <blank>" are hard to
> account for.

I'd like to vote for Quetzalcoatl.

I'd also like to say I think PyPache is _bad_ name - to me, the mangling
of "Apache" is awkward and unattractive. It's also not at all obvious
(at least, outside of a strong ASF context) that "pache" relates to
"apache" - therefore, without the supporting context, I'd mentally
assign the pronunciation "pie-pash" to the name.

For those reasons, I think Quetzalcoatl, Terrarium, or even Scales
despite its lack of searchability, would be preferable over PyPache.

Max.

Re: TLP Name

Posted by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@apache.org>.

Re: TLP Name

Posted by Clodoaldo <cl...@gmail.com>.
+1 pypache

--
Clodoaldo Pinto Neto

RE: TLP Name

Posted by "Daniel J. Popowich" <dp...@comcast.net>.
 +1 on pypache

RE: TLP Name

Posted by Scott Sanders <ss...@stonecobra.com>.
>How about this last minute entry as a place to keep our snake?
>
>Apache Terrarium

+1 on terrarium.apache.org

Re: TLP Name

Posted by Jorey Bump <li...@joreybump.com>.
For me, it's a tie between Quetzalcoatl & Scales.

Re: TLP Name

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On 5/16/07, Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy <gr...@apache.org> wrote:
> Quetzalcoatl

It's not *that* hard to say - and it's far and away my favorite.

Terrarium is the next best alternative I've seen so far.

My $.02.  -- justin

Re: TLP Name

Posted by Nick <ni...@dd.revealed.net>.
Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:
> PythonScript
> Pythonidae
> PyPache
> pythonalia
> Quetzalcoatl
> Asphyxia
> Scales
> Pythonistas
> PigeonPy
> Pungi

I liked Pungi, but there is unfortunately another project out there with
that name (https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/pungi).  Quetzalcoatl
is a great Apache project name in that it's kind of related in a cultural
memory kind of way to the project ideas, but obscure enough to be completely
forgettable :)  I guess Scales also falls into that category, and it gets my
vote because it's easier to spell.

Nick

Re: TLP Name

Posted by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@apache.org>.

Re: TLP Name

Posted by Jim Gallacher <jp...@jgassociates.ca>.
Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

> I like Quetzalcoatl and PyPache.

Quetzalcoatl is still my sentimental favourite.

Perhaps I'm overly concerned with potential search problems for
Quetzalcoatl, considering that Google is pretty good at figuring out
spelling errors. Also the mod_python name will not disappear, as it'll
still be used as a subproject name, so people can find us that way.

> Terrarium seemed nice at first,

The potential for a nice logo is also much greater for Quetzalcoatl than
  for Terrarium (unless you find glass boxes really interesting).

> then the ophidiophobia in me took over. (Nobody suggested ophis, btw..)

Take a look at the first Google hit for ophis. I don't think we want to
compete with that site for attention. :)

Jim

Re: TLP Name

Posted by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@apache.org>.
I like Quetzalcoatl and PyPache. Terrarium seemed nice at first, but then

Re: TLP Name

Posted by Ron Reisor <ro...@udel.edu>.
+1 Quetzalcoatl

Ron Reisor <ro...@udel.edu> (RWR3)
University of Delaware Information Technologies/Network and Systems Services
Computing Center/192 South Chapel Street/Newark DE, 19716
pgp finger print: 0D 73 06 6F D3 6A 99 D3  F5 D5 6E FF 3B B9 7C 2C

Re: TLP Name

Posted by Yann Ramin <at...@stackworks.net>.
I like this one, +1 for Terrarium

Re: TLP Name

Posted by Jim Gallacher <jp...@jgassociates.ca>.
+1 Terrarium

I've mulled this one over and it's growing on me.

Jim

Re: TLP Name

Posted by Jim Gallacher <jp...@jgassociates.ca>.

Re: TLP Name

Posted by Jim Gallacher <jp...@jgassociates.ca>.
Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

> So I think we've got (in no particular order):
>
> PythonScript
> Pythonidae
> PyPache
> pythonalia
> Quetzalcoatl
> Asphyxia
> Scales
> Pythonistas
> PigeonPy
> Pungi
>
> Would people (ANYONE here on the list, yes, that includes *YOU*) please
> respond with the one they like most and I will compile the results?

Scales +0

My biggest concern with Apache Scales is that it may be a little too
generic for searching as it is a pretty common phrase, as in "Apache
scales well...". It's even worse for searching on "scales" alone.

I like Quetzalcoatl best but I really think it would be a horrible
choice as it'll be difficult for people to remember, spell and pronounce.

Perhaps we should solicit ideas from the mod_python user list, or even
the c.l.p newsgroup?

Jim

TLP Name

Posted by Graham Dumpleton <gr...@gmail.com>.
Not necessarily wanting to see this discussion die again, how about
just calling it the 'PythonScript' project. Name means it is still
obvious and I can't see how we would have issues with a composite name
like that as far as PSF trademark goes, but then could be wrong.

Posted by Graham Dumpleton <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Gallacher <jp...@jgassociates.ca>.
Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> On 10/05/07, Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy <gr...@apache.org> wrote:
>> 1. "Python" is not a good name for this project because "Apache Python"
>> will just be too confusing and probably infringes on a PSF trademark. So
>> if you have any creative suggestions, send them in, don't be shy, even if
>> you think they may sound a little stupid at first :-)
>
> How about 'Asphyxia'. This being the outcome if a Python gets you. :-)
>
> Since the reason for the TLP being for Python rather than just
> mod_python was the idea there might be more than just the mod_python
> project, ie., other Apache/Python modules, then maybe call it
> 'Pythonidae'. This is the more technical name for the family of snakes
> which people call Pythons. Not sure how you are meant to pronounce
> that though.

I like that one. Another, less scientific, possibility might be
pythonalia (python + miscellania).

I wonder if we might still run into trademark issues if we still use a
word containing python?

Jim

Re: [VOTE] does mod_python want to be a TLP

Posted by Graham Dumpleton <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jorey Bump <li...@joreybump.com>.
Mike Looijmans wrote:
>> Apache includes a feather in its logo, and Python is associated with a
>> snake. "Quetzalcoatl" means "feathered snake" and does not appear to
>> be used by any other software project.
>
> Which I can fully understand, because "Quetzalcoatl" is harder to
> pronounce than the 16 character password for the mainframe that was
> generated using /dev/random.

I admit I like the logic more than the name itself.

> I liked "Asphyxia" though. Makes a nice password too.

To me, "Asphyxia" has *extremely* negative connotations, and really
stretches the limits of clever association.

Another name that comes to mind is "Scales", playing on the Apache
feather motif, but I fear it will be lost in search results among pages
that discuss how well "Apache scales".

Re: [VOTE] does mod_python want to be a TLP

Posted by Mike Looijmans <nl...@natlab.research.philips.com>.
> Apache includes a feather in its logo, and Python is associated with a
> snake. "Quetzalcoatl" means "feathered snake" and does not appear to be
> used by any other software project.

Which I can fully understand, because "Quetzalcoatl" is harder to pronounce than the 16 character
password for the mainframe that was generated using /dev/random.

I liked "Asphyxia" though. Makes a nice password too.

Mike.

Re: [VOTE] does mod_python want to be a TLP

Posted by Jorey Bump <li...@joreybump.com>.

Quetzalcoatl

Posted by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@apache.org>.
Just so that many of you do not wonder "We are a TLP - where is it???"

Everything is well. :)

It's just turned out that selecting "python.apache.org" as the main
destination for it is not something that everyone is in agreement on and
quite a bit of discussion had to take place, and we're still in the
process, but it will all hopefully be resolved soon now.

Grisha

Re: [VOTE] does mod_python want to be a TLP

Posted by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@apache.org>.
OK, now that we have a name, I'd like to make sure we agree on what we're
going to submit to the board, namely that:

1. We'd like a TLP for the purpose of overseeing Python projects which
includes mod_python.

2. We'd like to name this project Quetzalcoatl.

3. The initial PMC will be:

  Graham Dumpleton
  Justin Erenkrantz
  Jim Gallacher
  Nicolas Lehuen
  Gregory Trubetskoy

4. We'd like the TLP domain name to be python.apache.org.

(Am I missing any steps here?)

So if you have any issues with the above please respond by the end of this
week, otherwise it means we all agree on this.

Grisha