Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Edmund Wong <ed...@kdtc.net> on 2009/04/02 09:07:14 UTC

Issue # 3342

Hi,

Regarding the subjected issue, might it be considered a
bite-sized issue?

Edmund

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1516365

Re: Issue # 3342

Posted by Edmund Wong <ed...@kdtc.net>.
Hi Stefan,

>> Regarding the subjected issue, might it be considered a
>> bite-sized issue?
>
> Yes. Give it a shot if you want to.

Well, when I meant bite-sized, I meant bite-sized for
those proficient in C and in the SVN.  I'm still learning,
or would this be a good opportunity to try a shot at it?

I really would like to give a shot at this.  I'm still
reading up on the basics of SVN's coding scheme, though
so that's gonna slow me down.

Excuses aside, (*grin*) I'll give it a shot.

Edmund

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1527612

Re: Issue # 3342

Posted by Edmund Wong <ed...@kdtc.net>.
Daniel Shahaf wrote:

> Another place you can look at is the list of XFailing tests.  Not all of
> them have corresponding issues...

They don't?   That's another good avenue to have
a look-see for stuff to do.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Edmund

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1597655

Re: Issue # 3342

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1560436

Re: Issue # 3342

Posted by Edmund Wong <ed...@kdtc.net>.
Stefan Sperling wrote:

> It won't be a single file :)

Darn.  I thought it was with notify.c.

> Basically, conflict stat gathering needs to be moved into
> the client library, and be done per-operation. Users of the
> client library should be able to receive conflict stats as
> part of the result of an API call such as svn_client_update().
>
> Right now, the conflict stats are gathered purely inside
> the command line client, based on notifications received
> from the client library. This is a bit of a hack, and cannot
> easily be made as accurate as we'd like it to be, hence issue #3342.
> Pushing this down into the client library would also benefit
> other clients such as TortoiseSVN.

Well, I think I'll re-clarify my position with this issue.
I'm still reading (as stated in the hacking.html) the .h
files trying to understand the layout and whilst doing that,
learning C.

> If you feel this is too overwhelming, don't rush into it.

I'll definitely be taking my time here.

> Just keep fixing simple problems like you did for issue #3207.
> Doing this really helps the project, and you will gain more
> confidence and learn more about the code as you go along.

I would agree.  Right now, I'm definitely on the shaky side
but it's good to learn a new language.

Re: Issue # 3342

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 05:17:24PM +0800, Edmund Wong wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>

> > Yes. Give it a shot if you want to.
> >

> Pardon my ignorance, but which .c file does this issue
> pertain to?   I'm looking at notify.c but it doesn't
> look like the right one and tree-conflicts.c doesn't
> look like it either.
>
> Thanks for the help.

It won't be a single file :)

[...]

If you still decide to go for fixing the conflict stats,
expect to invest some time. And feel free to ask questions,
of course.

Most importantly, just do what is fun!

Stefan

Re: Issue # 3342

Posted by Edmund Wong <ed...@kdtc.net>.
Hi Stefan,

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1530563

Re: Issue # 3342

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 05:07:14PM +0800, Edmund Wong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Regarding the subjected issue, might it be considered a
> bite-sized issue?

Yes. Give it a shot if you want to.

I did the original stats implementation which has the flaw in it.
It was easy to do it the way I did it but as Julian points out in
the issue it's not quite right.

Since anyone fixing this issue is basically mopping up after me,
I'd feel obliged to review patches :)

Stefan