Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Connie Yang <cy...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/28 00:56:42 UTC

How to upgrade Kafka broker to a newer version without impacting live traffic?

Hi All,

If I want to upgrade from Kafka 0.8.1.1 to a newer version, what are the
steps that I need to do without impacting production traffic?  More
specifically, how do I have the new brokers to continue writing to the
existing logs assuming the file format has not changed?

Is there a migration tool for us to use?

Thanks,
Connie

Re: How to upgrade Kafka broker to a newer version without impacting live traffic?

Posted by Yury Ruchin <yu...@gmail.com>.
A couple of points to keep in mind during the rolling update:

- "Controlled shutdown" should be used to bring brokers down (
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Replication+tools#Replicationtools-1.ControlledShutdown),
so that brokers gracefully transfer leadership before actually going offline
- after the last broker is brought back online, preferred replica election
should be initiated to restore the brokers' leadership for the respective
partitions

:

Posted by Alexis Midon <al...@airbedandbreakfast.com>.