Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org> on 2002/02/01 11:29:12 UTC

Re: Plans for future

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 05:07, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> I am satisfied with the current releases of the three subprojects
> Framework, Excalibur, and LogKit.  I would like to start discussions on
> what is necessary to have a Beta release of both Cornerstone and Phoenix.

Phoenix is almost Beta quality at the moment. There is a few things that I
need to add such as ClassLoader management, improved deployment and a few
unit tests for the tools package. This will prolly take about 2 lazy Sunday
afternoons.

However the real thing that is holding us back is the complete and utter lack
of a decent management console. I can quite easily add new MBeans for the
serverside half of the management interface and refactor things on that end
to make it nice and clean. However to do that I need some testing in a real
environment and this is currently not possible because no one has written a
frontend. Unfortunately I am really bad at writing that bit ... every time I
start on it I end up finding excuses to play with other things ;)

So as soon a management console is written it will take a few weeks to get
phoenix into full beta mode. However I don't know when that will occur ;)

Cornerstone is a different thing altogether and there are parts that are
ready for prime time, others that are completely lacking and still others
that need lots of tweaks. However we haven't even done alpha releases of
cornerstone so this project could take a while ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Plans for future

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2 Feb 2002 08:36, Scott Sanders wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 09:29:12PM +1100, Peter Donald wrote:
> > On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 05:07, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> > > I am satisfied with the current releases of the three subprojects
> > > Framework, Excalibur, and LogKit.  I would like to start discussions on
> > > what is necessary to have a Beta release of both Cornerstone and
> > > Phoenix.
> >
> > Phoenix is almost Beta quality at the moment. There is a few things that
> > I need to add such as ClassLoader management, improved deployment and a
> > few unit tests for the tools package. This will prolly take about 2 lazy
> > Sunday afternoons.
> >
> > However the real thing that is holding us back is the complete and utter
> > lack of a decent management console. I can quite easily add new MBeans
> > for the serverside half of the management interface and refactor things
> > on that end to make it nice and clean. However to do that I need some
> > testing in a real environment and this is currently not possible because
> > no one has written a frontend. Unfortunately I am really bad at writing
> > that bit ... every time I start on it I end up finding excuses to play
> > with other things ;)
>
> What do you mean by front-end?  Web something?  Telnet?  I am looking at
> Avalon, and have done both of these before, so I can take a look at it.

Front end is just some form of semi user friendly interface for admin types
to interact with the phoenix management objects. My personal preference is a
web frontend but anything is better than nothing. Having a look at it would
be fantastic ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Plans for future

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Scott Sanders wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 09:29:12PM +1100, Peter Donald wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 05:07, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>
>>>I am satisfied with the current releases of the three subprojects
>>>Framework, Excalibur, and LogKit.  I would like to start discussions on
>>>what is necessary to have a Beta release of both Cornerstone and Phoenix.
>>>
>>Phoenix is almost Beta quality at the moment. There is a few things that I
>>need to add such as ClassLoader management, improved deployment and a few
>>unit tests for the tools package. This will prolly take about 2 lazy Sunday
>>afternoons.
>>
>>However the real thing that is holding us back is the complete and utter lack
>>of a decent management console. I can quite easily add new MBeans for the
>>serverside half of the management interface and refactor things on that end
>>to make it nice and clean. However to do that I need some testing in a real
>>environment and this is currently not possible because no one has written a
>>frontend. Unfortunately I am really bad at writing that bit ... every time I
>>start on it I end up finding excuses to play with other things ;)
>>

> What do you mean by front-end?  Web something?  Telnet?  I am looking at Avalon, and have done both of these before, so I can take a look at it.
>
> Scott Sanders

He is talking about a GUI console so that administration of the server is
more friendly.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: Plans for future