Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com> on 2013/03/11 10:50:02 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.5 (incubating)

Hi everyone,

I would like to initiate the vote for releasing Apache Bloodhound 0.5
(incubating).

Please find the change log for this proposed release below:

 * Implemented Bootstrap templates for the repository browser, log viewer
and attachment pages.
 * Upgraded Bootstrap to version 2.3.1.
 * Upgraded Trac to version 1.0.1.
 * Various bug fixes and enhancements.

 * Not fixed for this release:
   * No major outstanding issues

For this release, the archive differs from the tag in that the Trac
"contrib" directory has been removed from the archive. The files
in that directory currently lack license headers. We are working
with the Trac team to clarify the licenses under which the contrib files
are released:
https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/273

The release candidate artifacts consist of source release as a tar.gz
archive along with the associated MD5 and GPG signature.
These can be found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/bloodhound/

The archive is based on the tag:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/bloodhound/tags/0.5-incubating

Please vote:
[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Bloodhound 0.5
[ ] +0 Don't care
[ ] -1 Do not release this package (please explain)

The vote is open for 72 hours and, if successful, will be followed by a
vote on general@incubator for a further 72 hours.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.5 (incubating)

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
I will , in a while ;)

On 3/11/13, Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 2:50 AM, Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I would like to initiate the vote for releasing Apache Bloodhound 0.5
>> (incubating).
>>
>> Please find the change log for this proposed release below:
>>
>>  * Implemented Bootstrap templates for the repository browser, log viewer
>> and attachment pages.
>>  * Upgraded Bootstrap to version 2.3.1.
>>  * Upgraded Trac to version 1.0.1.
>>  * Various bug fixes and enhancements.
>>
>>  * Not fixed for this release:
>>    * No major outstanding issues
>>
>> For this release, the archive differs from the tag in that the Trac
>> "contrib" directory has been removed from the archive. The files
>> in that directory currently lack license headers. We are working
>> with the Trac team to clarify the licenses under which the contrib files
>> are released:
>> https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/273
>>
>> The release candidate artifacts consist of source release as a tar.gz
>> archive along with the associated MD5 and GPG signature.
>> These can be found at:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/bloodhound/
>>
>> The archive is based on the tag:
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/bloodhound/tags/0.5-incubating
>>
>> Please vote:
>> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Bloodhound 0.5
>> [ ] +0 Don't care
>> [ ] -1 Do not release this package (please explain)
>>
>> The vote is open for 72 hours and, if successful, will be followed by a
>> vote on general@incubator for a further 72 hours.
>>

> A large number of closed tickets don't have the milestone set. If everyone
> could take a quick look at these and set the milestone for any Release 5
> tickets, that would help. Thanks.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/query?status=closed&milestone=&col=id&col=summary&col=milestone&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&order=priority

Olemis.

Apache™ Bloodhound contributor
http://issues.apache.org/bloodhound

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.5 (incubating)

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.
On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 11:20 PM, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/13/13, Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 8:52 PM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> On Mar 12, 2013 1:33 PM, "Ryan Ollos" <ry...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> >
> [...]
> >
> > If we go this route and wish to keep milestone "Release X" aligned with
> > version "X",
>
> I'd say it'd be nice to have this match this convention ... but not
> terribly bad to forget it in the sense of jumping from m:R<n> to
> m:R<n+3> even though the gap might look a bit awkward .
>
> > which I hope we do for the sake of sanity, then I'll need Gary
> > (or anyone else BATCH_MODIFY privileges)
>
> @rjollos : btw , I apologize for the rain of messages resulting from
> my actions when u requested scheduling closed tickets in the
> appropriate milestones . That's related to this very same subject .

No problem from me. At least we can see the value though in a feature to
mute email notifications at times!: http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/8607

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.5 (incubating)

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 3/13/13, Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 8:52 PM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mar 12, 2013 1:33 PM, "Ryan Ollos" <ry...@wandisco.com> wrote:

[...]
> If we go this route and wish to keep milestone "Release X" aligned with
> version "X",

I'd say it'd be nice to have this match this convention ... but not
terribly bad to forget it in the sense of jumping from m:R<n> to
m:R<n+3> even though the gap might look a bit awkward .

> which I hope we do for the sake of sanity, then I'll need Gary
> (or anyone else BATCH_MODIFY privileges)

@rjollos : btw , I apologize for the rain of messages resulting from
my actions when u requested scheduling closed tickets in the
appropriate milestones . That's related to this very same subject .

> Batch
> modify will avoid having to change 35 tickets one-at-a-time, which also
> would result in 35 messages being sent to bloodhound-commits, and I'm sure
> no one wants that.

I'm sure I was included in the list ... ;)

> I have felt that it would be less confusing to just call this release 0.5.1
> and have it correspond to the "Release 5" milestone so that we don't have
> to move tickets, but that's as much opinion as I have on the matter.

+

Olemis.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.5 (incubating)

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.
On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 9:44 PM, Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com> wrote:

> On 14.03.2013 05:32, Ryan Ollos wrote:

> >> remove

> >> the
> >> I concur with Gary: just do this on trunk.
> >>
> >> Further, I recommend calling 0.5 defunct and move to 0.6. Version
> numbers
> >> are cheap. Just note 0.5 was not released (in the release notes). You'll
> >> find similar in the svn and serf notes, where versions were pulled. I
> >> screwed up serf so badly once, we jumped from 0.3 to 0.6.1 in a few
> hours.
> >> Horrible day :-/
> >>
> > If we go this route and wish to keep milestone "Release X" aligned with
> > version "X", which I hope we do for the sake of sanity, then I'll need
> Gary
> > (or anyone else BATCH_MODIFY privileges)  to move the tickets currently
> > assigned to "Release 6" to "Release 7" (or I suppose you can accomplish
> > this in other ways that you might see fit, such as renaming milestones
> > [which is another action that I don't have permissions to perform]).
>

> This is ridiculous. All committers should already have permission to do
> these things in our BH instance. All PMC members should have the
> required privileges to enable these actions on any account. Whoever is
> admin now should make that happen.
>
> > I have felt that it would be less confusing to just call this release
> 0.5.1
> > and have it correspond to the "Release 5" milestone so that we don't have
> > to move tickets, but that's as much opinion as I have on the matter.
>
> Second of all, you don't have to track each and every ticket to the
> milestone in which it was released. But first of all, the issue tracking
> system we use should not dictate how we make releases.

Yes, I realize now that I was wrong to worry about associating "Release X"
with version 0.X. There would have been no harm in moving on to version
0.6, and it would not have required tickets to be moved.

My desire to make that association comes from wanting to have traceability
of tickets to the milestones that they were fixed in, so as stated
elsewhere, I think there is general value in having the association.
However, we wouldn't lose or gain this through the "Release X" to version
0.X association.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.5 (incubating)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 14, 2013 7:39 AM, "Peter Koželj" <pe...@digiverse.si> wrote:
> More seriously, maybe we are a bit to much obsessed with tickets and all.

Not "maybe", but "definitely". There should be *way* more commits than
ticket edits. Most of the energy appears to be spent manipulating tickets,
rather than actually getting shit done.

Cheers,
-g

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.5 (incubating)

Posted by Peter Koželj <pe...@digiverse.si>.
On 14 March 2013 05:44, Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com> wrote:

> On 14.03.2013 05:32, Ryan Ollos wrote:

> >> remove

> >> the
> >> I concur with Gary: just do this on trunk.
> >>
> >> Further, I recommend calling 0.5 defunct and move to 0.6. Version
> numbers
> >> are cheap. Just note 0.5 was not released (in the release notes). You'll
> >> find similar in the svn and serf notes, where versions were pulled. I
> >> screwed up serf so badly once, we jumped from 0.3 to 0.6.1 in a few
> hours.
> >> Horrible day :-/
> >>
> > If we go this route and wish to keep milestone "Release X" aligned with
> > version "X", which I hope we do for the sake of sanity, then I'll need
> Gary
> > (or anyone else BATCH_MODIFY privileges)  to move the tickets currently
> > assigned to "Release 6" to "Release 7" (or I suppose you can accomplish
> > this in other ways that you might see fit, such as renaming milestones
> > [which is another action that I don't have permissions to perform]).
>

> This is ridiculous. All committers should already have permission to do
> these things in our BH instance. All PMC members should have the
> required privileges to enable these actions on any account. Whoever is
> admin now should make that happen.
>
> > I have felt that it would be less confusing to just call this release
> 0.5.1
> > and have it correspond to the "Release 5" milestone so that we don't have
> > to move tickets, but that's as much opinion as I have on the matter.
>
> Second of all, you don't have to track each and every ticket to the
> milestone in which it was released. But first of all, the issue tracking
> system we use should not dictate how we make releases.

I find it funny that such advices are given to the issue tracker developers
:)
More seriously, maybe we are a bit to much obsessed with tickets and all.
Let's just do whatever is easier. It can be called 0.5.1 for all I care.
Personally I would just go with 0.5 anyway.

Peter

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.
On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 8:52 PM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2013 1:33 PM, "Ryan Ollos" <ry...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> > Please let me know if you see any problems with the following plan:
> >  1. Leave the 0.5 tag
> >  2. Update the release notes, bump the version numbers to 0.5.1 and
> remove
> > the `contrib` directory on the 0.5 branch
> >  3. Delete the 0.5 release artifacts in the bloodhound-dist (1)
> >  4. Create a new release named 0.5.1
> >
> > I'll wait about 24 hours for feedback before taking any action to start
> the
> > next release.
>
> I concur with Gary: just do this on trunk.
>
> Further, I recommend calling 0.5 defunct and move to 0.6. Version numbers
> are cheap. Just note 0.5 was not released (in the release notes). You'll
> find similar in the svn and serf notes, where versions were pulled. I
> screwed up serf so badly once, we jumped from 0.3 to 0.6.1 in a few hours.
> Horrible day :-/

If we go this route and wish to keep milestone "Release X" aligned with
version "X", which I hope we do for the sake of sanity, then I'll need Gary
(or anyone else BATCH_MODIFY privileges)  to move the tickets currently
assigned to "Release 6" to "Release 7" (or I suppose you can accomplish
this in other ways that you might see fit, such as renaming milestones
[which is another action that I don't have permissions to perform]). Batch

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 12/03/13 15:22, Ryan Ollos wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 3:44 AM, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>wrote:
>
>> With no votes cast yet and suggested changes to go into the release, I
>> take it that we are going to call this release defunct and start again.
>> Whether we call that 0.6 or 0.5.1, I am not particularly worried. I would
>> like the new tag to reflect Greg's suggestion of the trac/contrib directory
>> being removed from trunk though.
>>
>> Meanwhile, I am not convinced with the argument that graduation should be
>> considered a blocker for release unless it somehow becomes the difference
>> of a couple of days. It seems it is currently a minimum of about 8 days
>> before graduation assuming that all goes well.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>      Gary

>>> so I guess the initial schedule I've doing would be correct ... most
>>> of the time
>>
> Please let me know if you see any problems with the following plan:
>   1. Leave the 0.5 tag
>   2. Update the release notes, bump the version numbers to 0.5.1 and remove
> the `contrib` directory on the 0.5 branch
>   3. Delete the 0.5 release artifacts in the bloodhound-dist (1)
>   4. Create a new release named 0.5.1
>
> I'll wait about 24 hours for feedback before taking any action to start the
> next release.
>
> (1) https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/bloodhound

I would make any changes that are to go to the 0.5 branch on trunk
first, including the removal of the contrib directory and bumping of
version numbers.

Otherwise, I am happy with calling the release 0.5.1. I don't think that
there is a reason to worry about the specific numbering (and
particularly not about maintaining any coincidental link to the
milestone names) but, then again, I am not in a hurry to reach 0.10+ if
we happen to back out of this or any future release attempts multiple times.

Cheers,
     Gary

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.5 (incubating)

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Peter Koželj <pe...@digiverse.si>.
I agree. The sooner we get 0.5 out the sooner we can start merging the MP
branch.

So +1 vote from my side.

Peter

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jure Zitnik <ju...@digiverse.si>.
On 3/12/13 3:00 AM, Ryan Ollos wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/11/13, Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com> wrote:
>>> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 2:50 AM, Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>> [...]
>>> A large number of closed tickets don't have the milestone set. If
>> everyone
>>> could take a quick look at these and set the milestone for any Release 5
>>> tickets, that would help. Thanks.
>>>

>> https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/query?status=closed&milestone=&col=id&col=summary&col=milestone&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&order=priority
>> However ... big question ... are we going to release anything in
>> bep_0003_multiproduct as part of Release 5 ?
>>
> I'm not sure. I had assumed all of the MP, Search and responsive layout
> work was still in progress, which is why I left it out of the release notes.

MP is still work in progress, I wouldn't be pushing it for Release 5.
I'd suggest we schedule the merge for after this release and release it
as part of Release 6.

Cheers,
Jure

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.5 (incubating)

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 3/11/13, Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]
>> I'll start updating ticket by assuming this is not the case and
>> schedule such tickets for Release 6 instead ... cmiiw
>

> Thanks for going through all those tickets and assigning them
> appropriately.

Well I actually could not set milestone field for < Release 5 as all
such milestones seem to be closed . I guess a TICKET_ADMIN needs to
get involved in the process
;)

Olemis.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.5 (incubating)

Posted by Andrej Golcov <an...@digiverse.si>.
> Okay, cool. Would you mind adding a line to the Release Notes? I'm sure
> you'll be able to summarize the progress better than anything I could
> write.

Added bhsearch note RELEASE_NOTES.
Please change if needed.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.5 (incubating)

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Andrej Golcov <an...@digiverse.si>.
> I'm not sure. I had assumed all of the MP, Search and responsive layout
> work was still in progress, which is why I left it out of the release notes.

Bhsearch is in beta phase. It is part of delivery but is not enabled
by default in non-dev setup.
There are a few changes for release 5:
https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/query?status=closed&keywords=~bep-0004-beta&milestone=Release+5&col=id&col=summary&col=milestone&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&order=priority

There are also a couple of open issues planned for release 5:
https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=needinfo&status=needinfo(new)&status=needinfo(review)&status=new&status=review&keywords=~bep-0004-beta&milestone=Release+5&col=id&col=summary&col=milestone&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&order=priority
We can reschedule them to rel.6 if there will not be ready till rel.5.

I think, we can mention bhsearch in release notes with note that it is
in beta phase and is enabled by default only for dev setup.

Cheers, Andrej

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.5 (incubating)

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 3/11/13, Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 2:50 AM, Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>

[...]

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
BH is part of the Incubator unless/until the Board changes that. Earliest
that would be is March 20.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 3/11/13, Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> Isn't this the first release that also includes the responsive layout
> changes and optional search improvements? If so, we should expand the
> change log.

+1
What about recent bhsearch improvements ?

btw , I've been checking a bit and afaics everything seems to be ok ...

> I'm not sure about the process here, but if we can release this as a
> graduated project on Wednesday then it's probably worth waiting. If the
> graduate vote is dragged out or the formal process requires us to wait
> until after the board meeting, then I will vote +1 on Wednesday.

... but I'll do the same too .

Olemis.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.5 (incubating)

Posted by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.
On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Matevž Bradač <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13. Mar, 2013, at 18:02, Ryan Ollos wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 2:50 AM, Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi everyone,
> >>
> >> I would like to initiate the vote for releasing Apache Bloodhound 0.5
> >> (incubating).
> >>
> >> Please find the change log for this proposed release below:
> >>
> >> * Implemented Bootstrap templates for the repository browser, log viewer
> >> and attachment pages.
> >> * Upgraded Bootstrap to version 2.3.1.
> >> * Upgraded Trac to version 1.0.1.
> >> * Various bug fixes and enhancements.
> >>
> >> * Not fixed for this release:
> >>   * No major outstanding issues
> >>
> >> For this release, the archive differs from the tag in that the Trac
> >> "contrib" directory has been removed from the archive. The files
> >> in that directory currently lack license headers. We are working
> >> with the Trac team to clarify the licenses under which the contrib files
> >> are released:
> >> https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/273
> >>
> >> The release candidate artifacts consist of source release as a tar.gz
> >> archive along with the associated MD5 and GPG signature.
> >> These can be found at:
> >> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/bloodhound/
> >>
> >> The archive is based on the tag:
> >> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/bloodhound/tags/0.5-incubating
> >>
> >> Please vote:
> >> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Bloodhound 0.5
> >> [ ] +0 Don't care
> >> [ ] -1 Do not release this package (please explain)
> >>
> >> The vote is open for 72 hours and, if successful, will be followed by a
> >> vote on general@incubator for a further 72 hours.
> >>

> > Matevz, what should we say about the responsive layout for this release?
> > have not tracked that work closely enough to be able to summarize it
> myself.
>
> I think we can at least mention it. The main implementation was
> finished (see #217), and what is left is more or less fine-tuning
> and bug fixing.
> Another reason for mentioning would be to get the user feedback on
> usage with tablets and phones. Beforehand the experience was quite
> cumbersome (lots of zooming in/out, panning etc.), with 0.5(.1) this
> will have been addressed to a large extent.

I'll add a very general statement then, such as "Added responsive layout
support."

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.5 (incubating)

Posted by Matevž Bradač <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.