Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Nik Martin <ni...@nfinausa.com> on 2012/10/02 22:12:23 UTC

Storage failure in not handled well in CS

I have two SANs connected to CS as primary storage.  One is an HD based
SAN, with a single target and LUN, and the other is an SSD SAN split
into two volumes, each connected with a target and LUN.  The HD san is
where all system VMs are stored (or they were before I added the HD SAN,
but I have no ide where the system vm volumens are stored).  This
morning, I had to do a semi emergency shutdown of the SSD SAN, so I put
both LUNS in emergency maintenance mode in CS.  CS shutdown the entire
cloud, not just the volumes stored in the SSD san.  The san is offline,
and CS shows it in maintenance mode, but NO vm's will start, and the cs
management log shows:

onnecting; event = AgentDisconnected; new status = Alert; old update
count = 959; new update count = 960]
2012-10-02 15:10:40,370 DEBUG [agent.manager.ClusteredAgentManagerImpl]
(AgentTaskPool-2:null) Notifying other nodes of to disconnect
2012-10-02 15:10:40,370 WARN  [cloud.resource.ResourceManagerImpl]
(AgentTaskPool-2:null) Unable to connect due to
com.cloud.exception.ConnectionException: Unable to connect to pool
Pool[204|IscsiLUN]
	at
	at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:679)
Caused by: com.cloud.exception.StorageUnavailableException: Resource
[StoragePool:204] is unreachable: Unable establish connection from
storage head to storage pool 204 due to ModifyStoragePoolCommand add
XenAPIException:Can not see storage pool:
cfd3b016-d4d9-3bb9-b1f9-f31374c44185 from on
host:82cad07f-6fbc-464e-86fe-28bb4af4bbcd
host:82cad07f-6fbc-464e-86fe-28bb4af4bbcd pool:
172.16.10.15/iqn.2012-01:com.nfinausa.san2:mirror0/0
	at
com.cloud.storage.StorageManagerImpl.connectHostToSharedPool(StorageManagerImpl.java:1567)
	at
com.cloud.storage.listener.StoragePoolMonitor.processConnect(StoragePoolMonitor.java:88)
	... 8 more
2012-10-02 15:10:40,371 DEBUG [cloud.host.Status] (AgentTaskPool-2:null)
Transition:[Resource state = Enabled, Agent event = AgentDisconnected,
Host id = 6, name = hv1]
2012-10-02 15:10:40,375 DEBUG [cloud.host.Status] (AgentTaskPool-2:null)
Agent status update: [id = 6; name = hv1; old status = Alert; event =
AgentDisconnected; new status = Alert; old update count = 960; new
update count = 961]

host:82cad07f-6fbc-464e-86fe-28bb4af4bbcd pool:
172.16.10.15/iqn.2012-01:com.nfinausa.san2:mirror0/1 is the SAN that is
in maintenance mode, so why is CS still trying to connect?  All my HVs
are in alert state becasue of this.

Nik

Nik Martin
VP Business Development
Nfina Technologies, Inc.
+1.251.243.0043 x1003
Relentless Reliability

Re: Storage failure in not handled well in CS

Posted by Matthew Patton <mp...@inforelay.com>.
On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 09:51:33 -0400, Nik Martin <ni...@nfinausa.com>
wrote:

> Bump?  This is a serious issue that I need to get resolved.  An entire
> cloud going down while one SAN is being repaired is a bad thing.

Don't get too upset - it's par for the course for products written by
Citrix programmers. Citrix XenServer (the hypervisor) also has a similar,
fatal flaw. If the first IP of a multi-IP SAN array is unreachable (eg. a
bad port, or controller failure), it won't reconnect using any of the
other IP. It will just mark it dead and you literally have to DELETE the
volume object and redefine it.

The only hypervisor that isn't complete sh*t is ESX. So far I haven't
found a cloud environment that wasn't riddled with incredibly naive
assumptions.

--
Cloud Services Architect, Senior System Administrator
InfoRelay Online Systems (www.inforelay.com)

Re: Storage failure in not handled well in CS

Posted by Nik Martin <ni...@nfinausa.com>.
On 10/03/2012 02:11 PM, Anthony Xu wrote:
> It is a bug, please file a bug,
>
> You can try following workaround,
> In mysql
> Update storage_pool set removed=now() where id= "primary storage id you put into maintenance mode"
>

> Anthony

Will do.  This is kind of a blocker in my book.

Regards,

Nik

Posted by Nik Martin <ni...@nfinausa.com>.
On 10/03/2012 03:04 PM, Alex Huang wrote:

> [...]
ALex,

Thank you for the update and feedback.

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Nik Martin <ni...@nfinausa.com>.

Posted by Nik Martin <ni...@nfinausa.com>.
On 10/03/2012 12:03 PM, Ahmad Emneina wrote:
> Hey Nik,
>
> It appears the compute host, or cluster, cant connect to the SAN
> referenced below. Have you peered into the compute hosts logs, they should
> be more informative as to why it cant connect the storage. You should also
> have at least one storage pool up to be able to provision against.

Ahmad, If you reference my original post to the list I have two SANs,
both are primary storage.  One is HD based,and one is SSD based.  I use
storage tags "HD" and "SSD" respectively.  the HD based san is a single
20TB volume, with 1 iSCSI target, and 1 LUN.  The SSD SAN is two 5TB
volumes, each with 1 target, and 1 LUN each, in an Active-Active
configuration.  The SSD SAN suffered from a misconfiguration issue, so
we had to put it into maintenance mode in a hurry, and shut it down.  I
fully expected the Volumes and VMs provisioned on the SSD san to be
unavailable.  The problem is, Cloudstack continued to try to access
Volume id 204, which is target 0 on the SSD san.  It shut every VM down,
and put all Hypervisors into Alert state, and went into a loop trying to
connect to a volume that is in Maintenence mode.  This creates a very
bad situation for me and my customers.

Regards,

Nik

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <Ah...@citrix.com>.