Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2005/07/04 13:59:45 UTC

Getting gump to send email

Hi all,

I have a gump running, and have configured nag emails however these are
not being delivered.

I suspect that mail delivery doesn't work as it has not been configured,
however I cannot find any docs within the manual or faq to describe how to
switch the email sending on.

Given the IP address of an MTA, what steps must I take to get emailing to
work?

Regards,
Graham

Re: Getting gump to send email

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.
> What in addition to this do I need to configure to get gump to send
emails?

I'd add a <nag/> to the workspace to get success/failure e-mails, and run
with --official (to get the nightly reminders.)

    http://gump.apache.org/metadata/workspace.html#nag

I'd also add an administrator to the workspace, to get overall
success/failure messages.

<workspace ...
        administrator="general@gump.apache.org"

regards,

Adam

Re: Getting gump to send email

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Graham Leggett said:

> I added mailserver and email to <workspace>, but still no emails - will
> try the --debug option to see what is happening.

Adding the --debug option and doing a full gump run turns up nothing in
the log that mentions mail - the only option seems to be that I have
configured it incorrectly and the email feature is off.

I have done two things:

- Configured the workspace tag like this:

<workspace
    version="0.4"
    name="generic"
    basedir="."
    pkgdir="./packages"
    jardir="./jars"
    mailserver="192.168.1.24"
    email="graham.leggett@xxx.co.za"

- Configured the project tag like this:

  <project name="hoops-make">
    <make/>
    <depend project="hoops-configure"/>
    <license name="LICENSE.txt" />
    <nag to="svn_fo_hoops@xxx.co.za" from="SVN FO Hoops &lt;svn_fo_hoop
s@xxx.co.za&gt;" />
  </project>

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.
> Unable to mail failure report : [u'192.168.1.24', 25, '',
> u'graham.leggett@xxx.co.za']

This needs a better error message, please add a JIRA entry. This is 'cos
there was no 'administrator' setting in the <workspace (hence the empty
third entry, the 'to'.)

regards

Adam

Re: Getting gump to send email

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Graham Leggett said:

> I added mailserver and email to <workspace>, but still no emails - will
> try the --debug option to see what is happening.

After adding the -d flag, I start gump, and then ctl-c it to stop it going
through a full run, and I get this:

Terminated by user interrupt...
Unable to mail failure report : [u'192.168.1.24', 25, '',
u'graham.leggett@xxx.co.za']
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/udd001/hoops/gump/cron/gump.py", line 564, in ?
    doRun()
  File "/udd001/hoops/gump/cron/gump.py", line 390, in doRun
    os.remove(fullname)
KeyboardInterrupt

The error message says "unable to mail failure report", but does not say
why it is unable to do so, or what the underlying error message was.

Is there a way to trace through the email sending code to see if it's
doing anything?

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Leo Simons said:

> I presume you added a <nag/> to the workspace.

I added nags to beneath <project>, is that correct?

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
Graham Leggett wrote:
> I have a gump running, and have configured nag emails however these are
> not being delivered.

I presume you added a <nag/> to the workspace.

> I suspect that mail delivery doesn't work as it has not been configured,
> however I cannot find any docs within the manual or faq to describe how to
> switch the email sending on.

>From http://wiki.apache.org/gump/BrutusConfig:

<workspace name="brutus-public"
        basedir="/usr/local/gump/public/workspace"
        jardir="/usr/local/gump/public/jars"
        pkgdir="/usr/local/gump/packages"
        logdir="/usr/local/gump/public/results"
        logurl="http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public"
        mailserver="mail.apache.org"
        email="brutus@gump.apache.org"
        version="0.4">

> Given the IP address of an MTA, what steps must I take to get emailing to
> work?

Have you set the mailserver and email properties?

After that your next step would be to turn on --debug and digest the
extended output.

hope that helps!

cheers,

Leo