Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by John Barstow <Jo...@gfsg.co.nz> on 2002/11/10 22:04:24 UTC

Installer source?

Silly me, I can't find the source for the Windows installer in the
Subversion source tree.  Could someone point me to it and/or document the
location?
Bandwidth is relatively expensive in this part of the world, so daily builds
are the way to go for me.
John C Barstow

Re: Installer source?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Jostein Christoffer Andersen wrote:

>On Monday 11 November 2002 20.58, Branko Čibej wrote:
>
>>>Can I commit the binary svnpath.exe file as well (under 30kB)?
>>>

>>-1. We never put generated files into the repositury, only the sources
>>they're made from.
>>

>Too late :-(
>I just received the mail I'm answering to right now and received "Re: I
>think that I can commit stuff now, but must wait" mail several hours
>ago. Well, I guess it should be deleted.

No worries, that's what Subversion is for. :-)

>>Eh? People have to compile all of subversion, and you're worried about
>>a tiny tool like that?
>>

>>>- especially if a svnpath.exe problem shows up and it's compiler
>>>related.
>>>

>It's common practice to try to include the same binary files in a Setup
>when it's not upgraded but I have no problem to accept it if you will
>roll your own.

It is? Well, I don't have much practical experience with writing Windows
setups, but I think it's safer to always generate the tool from sources,
because then you don't have to remember to check in a new binary every
time the sources change.

>>Most "compiler-related" problems are caused by people using unportable
>>constructs.
>>

>Just tell me if I have done so, then I can improve my self

That's what peer review is for. :-)

Re: Installer source?

Posted by Jostein Christoffer Andersen <jo...@josander.net>.
On Monday 11 November 2002 20.58, Branko Čibej wrote:
> Jostein Christoffer Andersen wrote:
> >On Monday 11 November 2002 06.02, Branko Čibej wrote:
> >>Jostein, do you think you're ready to commit the installer?

> I'd rather see the stuff in the repository earlier rather than later,
> even if it isn't 100% complete -- you can still commit changes after
> that. But it's your call, of course.
>
> >Can I commit the binary svnpath.exe file as well (under 30kB)?
>
> -1. We never put generated files into the repositury, only the sources
> they're made from.

Too late :-(
I just received the mail I'm answering to right now and received "Re: I
think that I can commit stuff now, but must wait" mail several hours
ago. Well, I guess it should be deleted.

> Eh? People have to compile all of subversion, and you're worried about
> a tiny tool like that?
>
> > - especially if a svnpath.exe problem shows up and it's compiler
> >related.

It's common practice to try to include the same binary files in a Setup
when it's not upgraded but I have no problem to accept it if you will
roll your own.

> Most "compiler-related" problems are caused by people using unportable
> constructs.

Just tell me if I have done so, then I can improve my self

BTW, it looks like that my domain is up again..

Jostein

Jostein Christoffer Andersen <jo...@josander.net>
http://www.josander.net/

Public PGP Key:
Key: http://www.josander.net/pub_keys/jostein_josander.net.asc

Re: Installer source?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Jostein Christoffer Andersen wrote:

>On Monday 11 November 2002 06.02, Branko Čibej wrote:
>

>>Jostein, do you think you're ready to commit the installer?
>>

>I can commit it as of svn-0.15.0-r3687-setup.exe, I just have to do some
>documentation first. I need a few hours, then I can do it (as of 17:00
>CET).

I'd rather see the stuff in the repository earlier rather than later,
even if it isn't 100% complete -- you can still commit changes after
that. But it's your call, of course.

>Can I commit the binary svnpath.exe file as well (under 30kB)?

-1. We never put generated files into the repositury, only the sources
they're made from.

> I don't
>like the idea of having many different compilations of the same file
>around

Eh? People have to compile all of subversion, and you're worried about a
tiny tool like that?

> - especially if a svnpath.exe problem shows up and it's compiler
>related.

Most "compiler-related" problems are caused by people using unportable
constructs.

>What I'm working on right now (and will commit for the next days):
>* Letting the end user downlodad the shfolder.dll if needed
>* The editor_cmd stuff
>* Some more work with internal tools for automating setup independed
>  of where the files to include in a setup are coming from:
>  - Different programmers and distro packagers have different locations,
>    and types (Debug vs. Release) and someone (like me) are just making
>    it from already compiled sources.
>  This tools are written in perl.
>* Automaking of the documentation. This already works but need some
>  polish. This is written in perl.
>
>This means that it should not be any need for me at the Windows Distro
>after that, the person who compiles all the sources (Branko) should be
>able to make the Windows distro with one single command.

Cool.

>Is there problems with the dev@subversion.tigris.org?
>I just got my emails from there now (after one and a half day). The only
>subversion stuff I have received i the mean time is from you (Branko),
>Blair and Nuutti which was cc to me.
>And.. hey.. I just got my "svn-0.15.0-r3687-setup.exe ready for
>aprovement" mail from the mailing list long time after the answers on
>the list :-D

I haven't seen any delays lately.

Re: Installer source?

Posted by Jostein Christoffer Andersen <jo...@josander.net>.
On Monday 11 November 2002 06.02, Branko Čibej wrote:

> Jostein, do you think you're ready to commit the installer?

I can commit it as of svn-0.15.0-r3687-setup.exe, I just have to do some
documentation first. I need a few hours, then I can do it (as of 17:00
CET).

Can I commit the binary svnpath.exe file as well (under 30kB)? I don't
like the idea of having many different compilations of the same file
around - especially if a svnpath.exe problem shows up and it's compiler
related.

Re: Installer source?

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Branko ?ibej wrote:

> John Barstow wrote:
>
> >Silly me, I can't find the source for the Windows installer in the
> >Subversion source tree.  Could someone point me to it and/or document the
> >location?
> >
> You're not silly; you can't find it because it's not there.

If you install svn using the installer, then you'll find the source
code for the installer in the extracted Subversion directory.

Blair

--
Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>

Re: Installer source?