Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/31 22:45:58 UTC

Regression checkbox (was Re: Can we change SQL State?)

On 3/31/06, David W. Van Couvering <Da...@sun.com> wrote:

> I think notification is great.  I don't understand why what you are
> suggesting should be "components" they really seem to me to make sense
> as checkboxes -- how are these "components" of the system?  Andrew, can
> you explain?

I had misunderstood Kathey's request earlier. I agree that checkboxes
for this behavior would be good to have to flag issues as regressive
behavior, with an additional checkbox for release notes impact, and
leaving the Regression Test Failure component specifically for test
failures. I'm wondering though, if "Existing Application Impact" is
perhaps redundant? In what situations would a behavior be a
regression, need specific mentioning in the release notes, and not
have an impact on existing applications?

andrew

Re: Regression checkbox (was Re: Can we change SQL State?)

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On 3/31/06, Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I had misunderstood Kathey's request earlier. I agree that checkboxes
> for this behavior would be good to have to flag issues as regressive
> behavior, with an additional checkbox for release notes impact, and
> leaving the Regression Test Failure component specifically for test
> failures.

Sorry for the JIRA blast, I needed to move the issues with Patch
Available to a new custom field so that we could add additional
checkboxes. But, seems like a good opportunity for the committers to
review the issues with patches available.

andrew

reviewing patches? (was: Re: Regression checkbox (was Re: Can we change SQL State?))

Posted by Andreas Korneliussen <An...@Sun.COM>.
Great! Now that we have the check boxes in place, would anyone care to
review the actual patches ? :-)

Andreas

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

>On 3/31/06, David W. Van Couvering <Da...@sun.com> wrote:
>

>>I think notification is great.  I don't understand why what you are
>>suggesting should be "components" they really seem to me to make sense
>>as checkboxes -- how are these "components" of the system?  Andrew, can
>>you explain?
>>

>I had misunderstood Kathey's request earlier. I agree that checkboxes
>for this behavior would be good to have to flag issues as regressive
>behavior, with an additional checkbox for release notes impact, and
>leaving the Regression Test Failure component specifically for test
>failures. I'm wondering though, if "Existing Application Impact" is
>perhaps redundant? In what situations would a behavior be a
>regression, need specific mentioning in the release notes, and not
>have an impact on existing applications?

It is the other way around.  ":Existing Application Impact" is for
things that are not regressions but  rather intentional behaviour
changes or fixes that might affect existing applications. An example
might be a bug fix that made Derby comply with standard behaviour where
it did not before.    It may have existing application impact but is not
a regression.

Kathey