Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by jf...@juno.com on 2002/07/14 07:14:25 UTC

.htpasswd files

Hi

I'm using Windows 2000
with apache 1.3.2.3

I wrote a script to write login info to a .htpasswd file
a .htaccess is in the same dir with this setup

AuthName "members"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile c:\apache\htdocs\members\.htpasswd
require valid-user
Satisfy All

Everything works except that apache does not seem to recognize the
.htpasswd file
I receive a challenge from the server for username and password but when
entered it will not recognize it

Please help
Thanks

Re: .htpasswd files

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
To ensure your script comply 100% to the syntax of these password files, do
use htpasswd.exe to generate a working password file (and check that it
really do work). Then let your script generate what should be the exact same
file, and compare then byte-by-byte (preferably in a hex viewer). Especially
check the new lines. And, btw, do use htpasswd.exe in your script when you
add/change data, and only let the script in when deleting and reading. Thats
the way I done it a few times, and no problems so far. Btw (again :) what
sort of script, perl?

Regards,
Robert Andersson

Re: .htpasswd files

Posted by Dmitry Medvedev <me...@rsdsoft.msk.ru>.
Good day.
Can you tell us whether you use the htpasswd.exe or do you write to the
.htpasswd directly?
Regards,
            Dmitry.