Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by James Hall <Ja...@RadioShack.com> on 2000/11/15 23:08:19 UTC

Newbie install help needed please

Hello,

I recently installed Redhat 7, which includes/installs Apache and mod_perl.

I assumed mod_perl was installed and running successfully based on the http
error log (Mon Nov 13 15:37:16 2000] [notice] Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) (Red
Hat/Linux) mod_ssl/2.6.6 OpenSSL/0.9.5a DAV/1.0.1 mod_perl/1.24 configured
-- resuming normal operations), but when I do a httpd -l apparently its not:
Compiled-in modules:
http_core.c
mod_so.c
suexec: disabled; invalid wrapper /usr/sbin/suexec

So I decided to download the tarball and [re]install mod_perl... but without
the Apache source it is not happening.

If anyone has any advice/urls/pointers to FAQ's to get mod_perl up and
running in this situation it would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!
-Jim

Re: Newbie install help needed please

Posted by Philip Jacob <ph...@scooby.acs.neu.edu>.
James,

It is installed, actually.  What you're seeing is a build of Apache
where pretty much everything is installed as a DSO.  This makes it
possible for Redhat to ship things like mod_php4 as RPMs so you can just
install them piecemeal.  If you look in APACHE/libexec/, you'll find all
the other modules you're looking for.

What you need to do in your httpd.conf file is LoadModule [ module name
], but since you're seeing mod_perl in the server headers, it's probably
already done.

I would advise you to learn how to build all this from source.  It's not
terribly difficult and Stas's mod_perl guide at perl.apache.org/guide is
a great resource.  Also, the software comes with instructions.

phil.