Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/14 12:28:39 UTC

[IMPORTANT] - When you merge github PRs

Hi

When you merge github PRs then its important to merge and rebuild on
top afterwards so we have a straight git tree.

So after you have done the merge, then you SHOULD run

     git pull --rebase

Then it replay the merge on top of latest master. And if there is any
conflicts you need to fix them, so we can merge any PR cleanly on
latest master.

Otherwise we end up with a more complex git tree that makes it harder
to maintain and also backport bug fixes to older branches.

Also refrain from backporting trivil javadoc changes and others to
older branches. The older branches are intended to be "quiet" and for
bug fixes and minor needed improvements only. The less changes we have
one these the better for the end users as they are are for patch
releases for production users.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: [IMPORTANT] - When you merge github PRs

Posted by Alex Dettinger <al...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Pascal.

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 9:47 PM, Pascal Schumacher <pascalschumacher@gmx.net

Posted by Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Alex Dettinger <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Thanks for precisions. When I previously merged a PR
<https://github.com/apache/camel/pull/2038>. I've done:

     git pull https://github.com/BruceKuiLiu/camel boxedParsing

So next time, I'll also run git pull --rebase afterward.

Apart from that, I've noticed that the merge on master ended up with a
commit indication that:

     "BruceKuiLiu committed 22 hours ago".

Whereas, the same commit cherry-picked from master to camel-2.20.x shows:

     "BruceKuiLiu committed *with aldettinger* 22 hours ago".

So, will I have the "committed with" indication on master too next time
thanks to git pull --rebase ?
Or is there anything else I'm missing ?

Many thanks,
Alex

On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 2:48 PM, Pascal Schumacher <pascalschumacher@gmx.net

Posted by Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net>.
Thanks for the information.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Good point. It would need extra Jenkins jobs for components, etc.

Nevermind.

Regards
JB

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.