Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by Markus Thömmes <ma...@apache.org> on 2018/07/30 19:57:34 UTC

Update Kafka to 2.0.0

Dear OpenWhiskers,

James Dubee, Sven Lange-Last and I have been on a Kafka-related bug
hunt throughout the past days and found several issues in our current
KafkaConsumerConnector. Several PRs have been opened since and several
are yet to come.

Currently, I'm trying to make the Kafka 2.0.0 clients work with our
old-dated Kafka 0.11 line Kafka broker. I'm wondering if we should
just update the brokers to 2.0.0 as well. It has been released today
and is admittedly fairly young. I feel like we should start tracking
more recent Kafka versions though, to profit from bug and stability
fixes.

One wrinkle: Today we don't support a graceful update of the Kafka
brokers in-place. Is any of the production deployments based on
OpenWhisk relying on being able to make an in-place update or is a
blue/green style full replacement of the whole cluster fine for
everybody?

Cheers,
Markus

Re: Update Kafka to 2.0.0

Posted by Markus Thömmes <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi Dragos,

Yes, the newer client works even on our current version, got it to
work with SSL finally as well: Check
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/pull/3913 for da codez.

Cheers,
Markus