Posted to dev@sdap.apache.org by Trevor Grant <tr...@gmail.com> on 2021/02/03 22:25:59 UTC

[DISCUSS] What is holding back Release and graduation?

Hey-

I'd like to start up another thread on what precisely is holding SDAP back
from

1. Doing a release?

It's my understanding (which is entirely possible it is wrong), that all
that is required for an apache release is the code is created as an
artifact some where (as well as checking licenses of dependencies, all the
other checkboxes).  I know there were some issues about most of the release
processes being Java specific, and this project is Python, but it's not
like you have to release to PyPi for it to "count" as an apache release.

Why not call a code freeze across all repos, create artifacts, upload them
to nexus, PPMC votes, vote passes, IPMC votes, and boom SDAP 1.0.

I ask this not as a rhetorical question- I am sure there are some reasons
its not quite that simple- what are they?

2. graduation-

Afaik - the major issue is no release. What aside from that is holding this
project back?

It can be hard to read tone in email, so please don't read this as "Why the
heck haven't you graduated yet?!?!" but more as a "If graduation is the
goal, and releases are holding us back from that- what is the shortest path
to doing a release?"

Just some thoughts I had to distract me from this other thing I was working
on while reading the board report- respond as you like.
tg

Re: [DISCUSS] What is holding back Release and graduation?

Posted by Frank Greguska <fg...@apache.org>.
Trevor -

Yes it appears that going through the release process and addressing any
licensing concerns are the main thing preventing graduation. The only thing
I can say is that it hasn't been prioritized/defined when releases should
be executed/tagged.

- Frank