Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by val john <va...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/14 06:24:25 UTC

[users@httpd] Download breaks in the middle

Hi guys...

im hosting close to 20 zip files in my site each close to 180MB in size ,
some times when i download  one of the files .. its stops in the middle (
after  80MB ) ,And some times it get downloaded full file without any
problem . is there any thing that i need to do in apache to avoid this
issue.

Thank You
john

Re: [users@httpd] Download breaks in the middle

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
On 9/14/2012 10:37 AM, Tom Evans wrote:
> Timeout is for individual read/writes. You can still download files
> that take longer than Timeout seconds to download :)
Good point.  I use a cgi that runs and actually sends the files which I
think is why I run afoul of this.

Regards,
KAM

Re: [users@httpd] Download breaks in the middle

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Kevin A. McGrail <KM...@pccc.com> wrote:
> On 9/14/2012 12:24 AM, val john wrote:
>>
>> im hosting close to 20 zip files in my site each close to 180MB in size ,
>> some times when i download  one of the files .. its stops in the middle (
>> after  80MB ) ,And some times it get downloaded full file without any
>> problem . is there any thing that i need to do in apache to avoid this
>> issue.
>

> In addition to Mark Montague's comments, the big question I have is time.
>
> Get a stop watch and time it.  How long is this download taking and when
> does the cutoff occur?  Let's say you have a slow connection and it will
> take 10 minutes to download your file.
>
> Well you might find your Apache configuration has a 5 minute timeout.  look
> for the Timeout configuration option and see what it is.

Timeout is for individual read/writes. You can still download files
that take longer than Timeout seconds to download :)

The docs have a fuller explanation.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#timeout

Cheers

Tom

Re: [users@httpd] Download breaks in the middle

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
On 9/14/2012 12:24 AM, val john wrote:
> im hosting close to 20 zip files in my site each close to 180MB in
> size , some times when i download  one of the files .. its stops in
> the middle ( after  80MB ) ,And some times it get downloaded full file
> without any problem . is there any thing that i need to do in apache
> to avoid this issue.

In addition to Mark Montague's comments, the big question I have is time.

Get a stop watch and time it.  How long is this download taking and when
does the cutoff occur?  Let's say you have a slow connection and it will
take 10 minutes to download your file.

Well you might find your Apache configuration has a 5 minute timeout.
look for the Timeout configuration option and see what it is.

Beyond that, it's possible your firewall has a timeout as well but I've
rarely seen that bite people unless we are talking dial-up speeds.

Regards,
KAM

Re: [users@httpd] Download breaks in the middle

Posted by Mark Montague <ma...@catseye.org>.
On September 14, 2012 0:24 , val john <va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> im hosting close to 20 zip files in my site each close to 180MB in
> size , some times when i download  one of the files .. its stops in
> the middle ( after  80MB ) ,And some times it get downloaded full file
> without any problem . is there any thing that i need to do in apache
> to avoid this issue.

- Look at your httpd error log while you reproduce the problem.  Do any
messages appear?  If so, what are they?

- When the problem occurs, what does your httpd access log show?
Specifically, what was the HTTP status code returned to the client?

- Does anything appear in your operating system logs when the problem
occurs?

- Are any firewalls or NAT involved?  If so, do their logs show anything?

- Are any proxies, including reverse proxies, involved?  If so, do their
logs show anything?

- Try reproducing the problem using a command-line HTTP client such as
curl, and include the command line options to show as much detail as
possible in order see exactly how the download is failing.  (for curl,
use "curl --trace-ascii - http://example.com/your-download-url"

- Which version of Apache HTTP Server are you running, under which
version of which distribution of which OS?

- Is there anything special about how you have either Apache HTTP Server
or your operating system configured?

--
   Mark Montague
   mark@catseye.org