Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by thully <tm...@eng.ucsd.edu> on 2012/12/20 00:15:05 UTC

SIGSEGV crash issues with Karaf/OSGi on Linux

Hi,

Our project (Cytoscape) utilizes Karaf/Felix/OSGi to for its application
bundles (the application as a whole is built as a set of OSGi bundles).
Anyway, we've noticed a strange problem when running on Linux systems (using
multiple different JVMs - including the latest Oracle 1.6 and 1.7.x
releases). Frequently, after we install a new bundle (using the
functionality that does so within our application or by just copying it to
the apprpriate place), we're finding that we get a JVM SIGSEGV crash in the
middle of bundle loading the next time we try to start up Cytoscape (and
hence Karaf). It looks something like the following:

#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007f5ebd3fc54e, pid=23273, tid=140044176189184
#
# JRE version: 7.0_09-b05
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (23.5-b02 mixed mode
linux-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [libc.so.6+0x8054e][thread 140044020991744 also had an error]

Anyway, to get this error to go away, we frequently have to restart Karaf
multiple times and/or clear the cache - at which point everything (including
the new bundle) starts up fine. Does anyone have an idea as to what may be
the issue? This only happens on Linux systems - Windows and Mac don't
experience the same issue. Our project is using Karaf 2.2.9, Felix 3.0.1,
and OSGi 4.2.0.

Also, if upgrading our project to the latest versions of Karaf/Felix/OSGi
may help, I'd like to give it a try - though my attempt to do so by changing
the version numbers for those projects in our Maven pom.xml file and
rebuliding resulted in a slew of BundleExceptions complaining about "missing
requirements".  Any idea as to what I need to upgrade our project?

Let me know if you have any suggestions regarding this issue...

Tim

Re: SIGSEGV crash issues with Karaf/OSGi on Linux

Posted by thully <tm...@eng.ucsd.edu>.
I'm using Ubuntu 12.10 (with Oracle JDK 1.7.0_09 being used - though I have
seen the SIGSEGV issue on 1.6.x as well, and others have seen the issue on
Fedora too).

As for Karaf/OSGi/Felix - we're using a Maven dependency to include those
in our project.

Tim

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by thully <tm...@eng.ucsd.edu>.
I've done some further testing, and it seems that the SIGSEGV crashes are
coming from Karaf code - the core dump from one of them references
hawtjni.c, and Karaf is the only component of our project which uses this.
Tested updating to 2.2.10, and the problem persists. Didn't notice the
problem on 2.3.0, but that (along with OSGi 4.3) introduces a lot of new
issues with our project (and we really want to avoid a major Karaf version
change for our next release).

(The original issues I had with upgrading turned out to be due to old code
in my Maven repository).

With that said, does anybody have any idea as to how to work around the
issue in Karaf 2.2.x? The issue doesn't seem to happen as much (or at all)
on 32-bit/non-Oracle JVMs, though that's not really a viable long-term
solution.

Tim

FYI, here is the error message again, in case anybody missed...

#