Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by PeterLee <pe...@apache.org> on 2021/07/30 04:00:26 UTC

[COMPRESS] About Compress-583

Hi all,

There is a new issue Compress-583 reporting Compress 1.21 generated tars
are not byte-to-byte
same with older versions.And the generated tars are also different in
different OSes in 1.21.

This is caused by Github PR #97(Compress-404) : the UID/GID is set in Unix
in the constructor of
TarArchiveEntry -  but we didn't do it before 1.21.. And please note that
this is the default behavior
of tar(1).
We didn't record this in the change log of 1.21 - and it was my bad.

IMO this is not a breaking change - there's no API change. Only the
generated tars is changed. But
I agree that this should be documented.

I want to hear about your ideas. WDYT?

cheers,