Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Al Byers <by...@automationgroups.com> on 2006/08/29 15:14:24 UTC

More on automating testing

I  don't have any solutions that I want to share, but I am wondering if
having a framework like OFBiz should not present opportunities for
easily specifying test scripts and scenarios? I guess I am thinking of
something that could be done with widgets to generate the required
scripts to both exercise the test and determine if it passed or failed.

After having worked with a large, generated ERP package, I more clearly
see one of the beauties of OFBiz - that it is highly leveraged without
having to go thru a complex generation procedure. I am seeing the waste
of having design docs that so quickly get out-of-date that they cannot
be trusted. The config files in OFBiz provide a sort of basic
documentation set, and it would seem that there could be more that could
be done with them.

Any thoughts?

-Al

Re: More on automating testing

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
On Aug 31, 2006, at 4:12 PM, Rodrigo Aguinaga wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> I had a couple of questions regarding the testtools component that you
> mentioned.
>
> I would like to know when can we see this new component (or if I
> missed it
> would you please point it for me..), because it seems like a really
> good
> improvement.

This has been in SVN for a few months now. It is in the framework/
testtools directory. All of the JUnit tests in OFBiz currently run
through this. It is covered in the advanced framework materials from
Undersun if you're looking for more details on it.

> Second, I've been working with selenium (I've belive Jacques has
> use this
> one) and this works like a recorder that can repeat all the actions
> that you
> make and generates a script from it, and also I started reading the
> grinder
> documentation and sound very alike. But I've been working with a
> data loader
> tool (data load), that actually use data from a worksheet, so you
> don't make
> a test with just one set of data, you make the same test with
> differents
> sets of data. The main problem of this data loader it's that only
> helps you
> typing what you want's but doesn't have any sort of javascript
> function(quite old fashion..). So what I wanted to know is, how are
> you
> going to work with grinder, would it let you provide a data set
> (maybe a xml
> o cvs format) so it can do a group of test, or would it do a single
> test and
> you would have to modify the Jython code to use another set of data.

The testtools stuff has a test setup XML file that allows you to
specify different tests to run and in what order. With this you can
have data loading, UI actions, data testing, service running, and
other types of tests in any order you want them.

-David

Posted by Rodrigo Aguinaga <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

[...]

Rodrigo

2006/8/29, David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>:

> This is the intention of the fairly new testtools component in the
> framework. The point of that will be to specify sequences of tests to
> run and each test can be of various different types. It implements
> some of the JUnit interfaces to more easily interact with other
> testing tools.
>
> Right now it only supports JUnit tests (and the current OFBiz JUnit
> tests are being run through it), because that is as far as I got in
> the few hours I put into it a few months ago. I started implementing
> stuff for calling services as tests, and for running Jython tests
> (probably specifically ones generated by Grinder). These tests can
> then be mixed and matched to do whatever is needed using the best
> tool for the job.
>
> -David
>

> On Aug 29, 2006, at 7:14 AM, Al Byers wrote:
>
> > I  don't have any solutions that I want to share, but I am
> > wondering if having a framework like OFBiz should not present
> > opportunities for easily specifying test scripts and scenarios? I
> > guess I am thinking of something that could be done with widgets to
> > generate the required scripts to both exercise the test and
> > determine if it passed or failed.
> >
> > After having worked with a large, generated ERP package, I more
> > clearly see one of the beauties of OFBiz - that it is highly
> > leveraged without having to go thru a complex generation procedure.
> > I am seeing the waste of having design docs that so quickly get out-
> > of-date that they cannot be trusted. The config files in OFBiz
> > provide a sort of basic documentation set, and it would seem that
> > there could be more that could be done with them.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > -Al

Rodrigo Aguinaga Lira

Re: More on automating testing