Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2008/02/03 04:42:31 UTC

eclipse:eclipse PDE version naming for incubator projects - changing a hyphen into a period, causing an error

We have a maven <version> for our incubating project which looks like:

2.3.0.incubating-SNAPSHOT

The dot before incubating is there to make the format fit the Eclipse
syntax of major.minor.micro.qualifier

When eclipse:eclipse updates the MANIFEST.MF, it changes this version to:

2.3.0.incubating.SNAPSHOT

This causes Eclipse 3.3 to complain that the format (which now contains
5 sections, separated by periods) is invalid.

Can I set some configuration parameter to get eclipse:eclipse to not
change the last "-" before SNAPSHOT to a period?

-Marshall Schor

Re: eclipse:eclipse PDE version naming for incubator projects - changing a hyphen into a period, causing an error

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Marshall Schor wrote:
> Carlos Sanchez wrote:
>> you should look into the Apache Felix bundle plugin. It has a
>> bundle:manifest goal that will generate the OSGi manifest, that's why
>> the eclipse pluign class is deprecated
>>
>> Check "Adding OSGi metadata to existing projects without changing the
>> packaging type"
>> http://felix.apache.org/site/maven-bundle-plugin-bnd.html
>>
> Thanks.  I've setup to use the maven-bundle-plugin  It seems to be
> working.  I've noticed that it, too, converts the maven version to the
> same invalid Eclipse version.
> Can you suggest where the code is that would need patching?
Actually, I think this is a false alarm, due to accidentally re-running
the eclipse:eclipse goal in a mode where it was modifying the
MANIFEST.MF, after running the maven-bundle-plugin - which appears to
properly handle the -SNAPSHOT.

Sorry for the mistake.  -Marshall

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
you should look into the Apache Felix bundle plugin. It has a
bundle:manifest goal that will generate the OSGi manifest, that's why
the eclipse pluign class is deprecated

Check "Adding OSGi metadata to existing projects without changing the
packaging type"
http://felix.apache.org/site/maven-bundle-plugin-bnd.html

On Feb 4, 2008 9:27 AM, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:
> This seems a bug.  I opened a Jira issue
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MECLIPSE-385, attached a patch and an
> updated test case.
>
> One issue may be the way I fixed it: I fixed a method
> getNormalizedVersion in EclipseOSGiManifestWriter, but that class is
> marked "deprecated" - so it may need to be fixed elsewhere.
>
> -Marshall
>

> Marshall Schor wrote:
> > We have a maven <version> for our incubating project which looks like:
> >
> > 2.3.0.incubating-SNAPSHOT
> >
> > The dot before incubating is there to make the format fit the Eclipse
> > syntax of major.minor.micro.qualifier
> >
> > When eclipse:eclipse updates the MANIFEST.MF, it changes this version to:
> >
> > 2.3.0.incubating.SNAPSHOT
> >
> > This causes Eclipse 3.3 to complain that the format (which now
> > contains 5 sections, separated by periods) is invalid.
> >
> > Can I set some configuration parameter to get eclipse:eclipse to not
> > change the last "-" before SNAPSHOT to a period?
> >
> > -Marshall Schor

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
                             -- The Princess Bride

Re: eclipse:eclipse PDE version naming for incubator projects - changing a hyphen into a period, causing an error

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.