Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Dave Johnson <da...@rollerweblogger.org> on 2005/08/10 15:12:01 UTC

Re: Trunk or roller_2.0?

Dear [REDACTED],

You're on the BCC list. Answers to your questions are below:

On Aug 9, 2005, at 11:24 PM, [REDACTED] wrote:
> Stupid question (too embarrased to ask the list) -- but is the latest
> Roller 2.0 code in the trunk, or in the roller_2.0 branch?

Roller 2.0 code is in the roller_2.0 branch. We have not merged it into
the trunk yet.

The trunk contains some new features added since the Roller 1.2
release, so I guess the trunk is the 1.3 code-base.

> Since there is also a roller_1.2 branch, and since all you're working
> on are 1.2 and 2.0, I'm not sure what the point of the separate trunk
> is..

Historically, the trunk is where we do main line development. We create
branches off of the trunk in two cases:

1) When we make a release that we want to keep stable and releases
patches against. That's why we created the roller_1.2 branch. We
released 1.2 and we wanted to keep open the possibility of 1.2.1 and
1.2.2 releases.

2) When we are adding new features  that are too earth-shaking (e.g.
group blogging) for the trunk we do them in a separate dev branch and
then merge them back into the trunk when we are ready.

- Dave