Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/01 19:50:16 UTC

[DISCUSS] Move the Camel features into Camel

L.S.,

Currently, a features descriptor for Camel is being generated in the
ServiceMix 4 features projects.  This descriptor basically is an XML
file that allows you to install any Camel component on ServiceMix
Kernel in a single command.  The information in the descriptor will be
used to determine which others OSGi bundles are required.

We now released ServiceMix 4.0.0 with a features descriptor for Camel
1.6.0, but on the Camel project itself we're now working on
2.0.0-SNAPSHOT and 1.6.1-SNAPSHOT.  I would like to propose to move
the generation process of the features descriptor into the Camel
project itself, so every release of Camel can come with its own
features descriptor.  It will also make it easier for people to test a
SNAPSHOT for Camel inside ServiceMix Kernel without having to hack up
their own descriptor first.

If we look at the codebase, it will basically mean that we would have
to move the pom.xml and properties file that's currently at
https://svn.eu.apache.org/repos/asf/servicemix/smx4/features/trunk/camel/camel-features/
to e.g. a /platform/servicemix-kernel directory in the Camel project.

Any thoughs?

Gert Vanthienen
------------------------
Open Source SOA: http://fusesource.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Move the Camel features into Camel

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Claus Ibsen
Apache Camel Committer

Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/davsclaus
Apache Camel Reference Card:
http://refcardz.dzone.com/refcardz/enterprise-integration

Re: [DISCUSS] Move the Camel features into Camel

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 Sounds good to me.

Jamie

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.
+1
Freeman

Posted by Edell Nolan <ed...@gmail.com>.
+1 Edell.

Posted by Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

<ge...@gmail.com>wrote:

> L.S.,
>
> Currently, a features descriptor for Camel is being generated in the
> ServiceMix 4 features projects.  This descriptor basically is an XML
> file that allows you to install any Camel component on ServiceMix
> Kernel in a single command.  The information in the descriptor will be
> used to determine which others OSGi bundles are required.
>
> We now released ServiceMix 4.0.0 with a features descriptor for Camel
> 1.6.0, but on the Camel project itself we're now working on
> 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT and 1.6.1-SNAPSHOT.  I would like to propose to move
> the generation process of the features descriptor into the Camel
> project itself, so every release of Camel can come with its own
> features descriptor.  It will also make it easier for people to test a
> SNAPSHOT for Camel inside ServiceMix Kernel without having to hack up
> their own descriptor first.
>
> If we look at the codebase, it will basically mean that we would have
> to move the pom.xml and properties file that's currently at
>
> https://svn.eu.apache.org/repos/asf/servicemix/smx4/features/trunk/camel/camel-features/
> to e.g. a /platform/servicemix-kernel directory in the Camel project.
>
> Any thoughs?
>
> Gert Vanthienen
> ------------------------

Cheers,
Jon

http://janstey.blogspot.com/

Re: [DISCUSS] Move the Camel features into Camel

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1  This is a great idea.

--
Chris Custine
FUSESource :: http://fusesource.com

Posted by Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

<ge...@gmail.com>wrote:

> L.S.,
>
> Currently, a features descriptor for Camel is being generated in the
> ServiceMix 4 features projects.  This descriptor basically is an XML
> file that allows you to install any Camel component on ServiceMix
> Kernel in a single command.  The information in the descriptor will be
> used to determine which others OSGi bundles are required.
>
> We now released ServiceMix 4.0.0 with a features descriptor for Camel
> 1.6.0, but on the Camel project itself we're now working on
> 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT and 1.6.1-SNAPSHOT.  I would like to propose to move
> the generation process of the features descriptor into the Camel
> project itself, so every release of Camel can come with its own
> features descriptor.  It will also make it easier for people to test a
> SNAPSHOT for Camel inside ServiceMix Kernel without having to hack up
> their own descriptor first.
>
> If we look at the codebase, it will basically mean that we would have
> to move the pom.xml and properties file that's currently at
>
> https://svn.eu.apache.org/repos/asf/servicemix/smx4/features/trunk/camel/camel-features/
> to e.g. a /platform/servicemix-kernel directory in the Camel project.
>
> Any thoughs?
>
> Gert Vanthienen
> ------------------------

Cheers,
Jon

http://janstey.blogspot.com/

Re: [DISCUSS] Move the Camel features into Camel

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

Regards
JB

Posted by Lars Heinemann <lh...@apache.org>.
+1

--
http://lhein.blogspot.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Move the Camel features into Camel

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
+1

2009/4/1 Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>:
> L.S.,
>
> Currently, a features descriptor for Camel is being generated in the
> ServiceMix 4 features projects.  This descriptor basically is an XML
> file that allows you to install any Camel component on ServiceMix
> Kernel in a single command.  The information in the descriptor will be
> used to determine which others OSGi bundles are required.
>
> We now released ServiceMix 4.0.0 with a features descriptor for Camel
> 1.6.0, but on the Camel project itself we're now working on
> 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT and 1.6.1-SNAPSHOT.  I would like to propose to move
> the generation process of the features descriptor into the Camel
> project itself, so every release of Camel can come with its own
> features descriptor.  It will also make it easier for people to test a
> SNAPSHOT for Camel inside ServiceMix Kernel without having to hack up
> their own descriptor first.
>
> If we look at the codebase, it will basically mean that we would have
> to move the pom.xml and properties file that's currently at
> https://svn.eu.apache.org/repos/asf/servicemix/smx4/features/trunk/camel/camel-features/
> to e.g. a /platform/servicemix-kernel directory in the Camel project.
>
> Any thoughs?
>
> Gert Vanthienen
> ------------------------

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Willem,

from my point of view, the Camel bundles should be atomic and
standalone, so they need to provide this party bundles.

Regards
JB

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Willem,

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.
+1
Freeman

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me; sounds a great idea.

Going forward it would make more sense for projects to maintain their
own features XML files.

2009/4/1 Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>:
> L.S.,
>
> Currently, a features descriptor for Camel is being generated in the
> ServiceMix 4 features projects.  This descriptor basically is an XML
> file that allows you to install any Camel component on ServiceMix
> Kernel in a single command.  The information in the descriptor will be
> used to determine which others OSGi bundles are required.
>
> We now released ServiceMix 4.0.0 with a features descriptor for Camel
> 1.6.0, but on the Camel project itself we're now working on
> 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT and 1.6.1-SNAPSHOT.  I would like to propose to move
> the generation process of the features descriptor into the Camel
> project itself, so every release of Camel can come with its own
> features descriptor.  It will also make it easier for people to test a
> SNAPSHOT for Camel inside ServiceMix Kernel without having to hack up
> their own descriptor first.
>
> If we look at the codebase, it will basically mean that we would have
> to move the pom.xml and properties file that's currently at
> https://svn.eu.apache.org/repos/asf/servicemix/smx4/features/trunk/camel/camel-features/
> to e.g. a /platform/servicemix-kernel directory in the Camel project.
>
> Any thoughs?
>
> Gert Vanthienen
> ------------------------

James
-------
http://macstrac.blogspot.com/

Open Source Integration

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 (forgot to reply all :)

2009/4/1 Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>:
> L.S.,
>
> Currently, a features descriptor for Camel is being generated in the
> ServiceMix 4 features projects.  This descriptor basically is an XML
> file that allows you to install any Camel component on ServiceMix
> Kernel in a single command.  The information in the descriptor will be
> used to determine which others OSGi bundles are required.
>
> We now released ServiceMix 4.0.0 with a features descriptor for Camel
> 1.6.0, but on the Camel project itself we're now working on
> 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT and 1.6.1-SNAPSHOT.  I would like to propose to move
> the generation process of the features descriptor into the Camel
> project itself, so every release of Camel can come with its own
> features descriptor.  It will also make it easier for people to test a
> SNAPSHOT for Camel inside ServiceMix Kernel without having to hack up
> their own descriptor first.
>
> If we look at the codebase, it will basically mean that we would have
> to move the pom.xml and properties file that's currently at
> https://svn.eu.apache.org/repos/asf/servicemix/smx4/features/trunk/camel/camel-features/
> to e.g. a /platform/servicemix-kernel directory in the Camel project.
>
> Any thoughs?
>
> Gert Vanthienen
> ------------------------

James
-------

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1  This is a great idea.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 (forgot to reply all :)

2009/4/1 Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>:
> L.S.,
>
> Currently, a features descriptor for Camel is being generated in the
> ServiceMix 4 features projects.  This descriptor basically is an XML
> file that allows you to install any Camel component on ServiceMix
> Kernel in a single command.  The information in the descriptor will be
> used to determine which others OSGi bundles are required.
>
> We now released ServiceMix 4.0.0 with a features descriptor for Camel
> 1.6.0, but on the Camel project itself we're now working on
> 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT and 1.6.1-SNAPSHOT.  I would like to propose to move
> the generation process of the features descriptor into the Camel
> project itself, so every release of Camel can come with its own
> features descriptor.  It will also make it easier for people to test a
> SNAPSHOT for Camel inside ServiceMix Kernel without having to hack up
> their own descriptor first.
>
> If we look at the codebase, it will basically mean that we would have
> to move the pom.xml and properties file that's currently at
> https://svn.eu.apache.org/repos/asf/servicemix/smx4/features/trunk/camel/camel-features/
> to e.g. a /platform/servicemix-kernel directory in the Camel project.
>
> Any thoughs?
>
> Gert Vanthienen
> ------------------------

James
-------

Posted by cmoulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Excellent idea Gert.

BTW, I think that we need also for SMX a kind of SMX Certification Kit
(sorry for the name but I don't find immediately the best one) who will
check/verify/validate/... the bundles that a SMX 4.xx platform support

This idea from the Java world for J2EE specification where such a kit exists
and is delivered by SUN. We need flexibility and don't need something too
much restrictive.

I propose that we include in this kit existing unit test (coming from
ActiveMq, Camel, CXF, JBI, NMR, ...) that the kit will run (and probably
integrate with high level tests case) to validate transactionnal, routing,
... aspects of the platform. If all the tests succeeded, then we can provide
the list of features/bundles certified by the SMX 4.xxx platform.

Regards

Gert Vanthienen wrote:

> L.S.,
>
> Currently, a features descriptor for Camel is being generated in the
> ServiceMix 4 features projects.  This descriptor basically is an XML
> file that allows you to install any Camel component on ServiceMix
> Kernel in a single command.  The information in the descriptor will be
> used to determine which others OSGi bundles are required.
>
> We now released ServiceMix 4.0.0 with a features descriptor for Camel
> 1.6.0, but on the Camel project itself we're now working on
> 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT and 1.6.1-SNAPSHOT.  I would like to propose to move
> the generation process of the features descriptor into the Camel
> project itself, so every release of Camel can come with its own
> features descriptor.  It will also make it easier for people to test a
> SNAPSHOT for Camel inside ServiceMix Kernel without having to hack up
> their own descriptor first.
>
> If we look at the codebase, it will basically mean that we would have
> to move the pom.xml and properties file that's currently at
> https://svn.eu.apache.org/repos/asf/servicemix/smx4/features/trunk/camel/camel-features/
> to e.g. a /platform/servicemix-kernel directory in the Camel project.
>
> Any thoughs?
>
> Gert Vanthienen
>

> -----
> ---