Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Beagle Boy <be...@hotmail.com> on 2002/01/08 17:00:59 UTC

Serializer / Deserializer and Handlers

Hello,
   Working on a new SOAP Header to be used in a research project I'm working
on but a bit unsure on my next step without consulting someone that
hopefully has done this before.  I have developed my own custom xml schema
for which I need to add into a SOAP request.  It consists of an array and a
string.  But I don't believe I can serialize these in the normal way as I
need it to match my XML Schema which talks all in terms of custom types.
Reading through the user guide I think I need to develop a custom Serializer
and Deserializer.  Will these allow me to match them to an exact XML Schema
I have developed and what other objects may I need to accomplish this?  Do I
need to develop objects that extend QName or anything else?

Additionally I want to make use of the handler architecture to add and
process these handlers.  I'm assuming I need two handlers one on the client
and one on the server.  I have them stubbed out but in reading the user
guide and api's I got lost.  To me it seems that in Axis I can ask a handler
if it is before or past its pivot to tell if the message is coming or going.
  That sounded great as that is what I needed, but I also need this to be a
global handler that all Web Service calls are forced to use and I saw the
term Pivot Handler mentioned which didn't appear to be global.  So my
question is can I have a global handler and have it make use of the pivot
mechinism and if so is there any example wsdd files that show how to deploy
this?

Thanks in advance,
Beagle

RE: Serializer / Deserializer and Handlers

Posted by Adam Freeman <af...@lightsurf.com>.
Hi,
this is more of a philosophical question.  I do not see a situation in which
you would want to write your own custom serializer/deserializer.  Even if
you are trying to turn legacy api's into a soap service, it seems to make
more sense to unmarshall a complex type into simpler types and then return
the complex type through multiple soap requests.  Isn't the point of soap
that you do not have to have complex deserializers locally or am I missing
something?
- Adam