Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Matt Fisher <mj...@press.uchicago.edu> on 2001/09/27 03:05:43 UTC

OutOfMemoryError from Tomcat 3.2

Hello,

I have an application running on a Windows2000 server, using Tomcat 3.2, Apache
1.3.20, and a SQL Server 2000 database. This application will be going live next
week. The initial user base will be approximately 20, but ultimately we will
have a user base of 100+.

During our stress testing today (approximately 20 simultaneous sessions), we
started getting a lot of errors (java.lang.OutOfMemoryError) on the server. The
errors are logged in Tomcat's jvm.stderr logfile. They started occurring during
the stress test, and stopped occurring thereafter.

I have read that on Solaris, Tomcat 3.2 may get OutOfMemory errors if there are
too many sessions at one time. Our server is running Windows 2000, but I wonder
if our problems also stem from too many sessions. If so, is there a parameter we
can tweak, a fix for Tomcat 3.2, or a new release which addresses this issue?

During a previous incident where OutOfMemory errors were occurring, I checked
the Windows 2000 performance monitor. Memory usage was approximately 10% of the
1 gigabyte capacity. It strikes me as odd that we'd get OutOfMemory errors,
unless the JVM only has access to a small portion of the machine's memory.

We also saw "index out of bounds" errors during the stress test, but I am
guessing that this is somehow related to the memory errors.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Yours,

 - Matt Fisher
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Matthew J. Fisher
Applications Programmer
University of Chicago Press
1427 E. 60th Street
Chicago, IL 60637-2954
Tel 773-834-5386

Re: OutOfMemoryError from Tomcat 3.2

Posted by "Jacob FanChiang (范姜)" <ja...@cht.com.tw>.
Hi,
I have the same experence when using CORBA and the provider is Borland
Visibroker.
When I new a instance ORB, there will be three threads form by Java.
If you never release the ORB, the threads never died.
The solution is using singlton to avoid that.

Your problem may not in the Memory.
Maybe it's the thread problem.
Hope this can help.

Jacob FanChiang