Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> on 2019/11/11 18:50:15 UTC

Maven Enforcer Release-3.0.0-M3

Hi,

I've seen there are a lot of fixes in the meantime in the current state
so I would like to cut a release and the end of the week.

So if someone has any objections please raise your hand.

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: Maven Enforcer Release-3.0.0-M3

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.
i forgot to say that the work in Surefire splits to multiple Mx which are
dependent.
so the milestones are useful for the Surefire, IMO.
not sure how about in the oher plugins,, enforcer, release plugin, etc. but
they may have different visions with the releases.

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.
Let's not mention JDK as a good example today because of:
1. almost every release was about the switch-case, and little improvement
in Lambda. Now it looks like they do not have language architect although
we know that Oracle has the architect.
2. Valhalla can be enabled in CLI but this produced incompatible bytecode,
thus two versions in one JDK. And users fire a bug against Surefire.
3. dropped feature raw-string-literals, basically unstable. This is a new
experience with Java because we trusted the Java that it would be backwards
compatible with older versions.

So JDK started with an extreme and goes to another extreme.
What changed was the transition from JCP to OSS.
So it seems that nothing is so good with jdk and frequent releases.
Simply the Java language is saturated. You won't find too many new features
in far aways future. I understand that the top management wants to have
frequent releases but the language is not capable. Another story is the JVM
because the performance and the GC is always welcome to improve more
frequently.

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Robert Scholte:
In case of plugins going from 2.x to 3.x is a huge step and an opportunity to break backwards compatibility.
Most important, as mentioned by Stephen, is dropping Maven 2 support.
Next, this is the best chance to remove deprecated parameters, refactoring code, etc, before we're bound to a 3.x version for a long time.
Especially the larger plugins require huge changes.
For example: I started refactoring the maven-release-plugin. Dropping Maven2 support has finished, so we should start with 3.0.x, but the intended refactoring is not ready. All integration tests still work, so it is stable.
People start asking for releases, so what to do?
To me releasing a milestone is an acceptable solution:
- it is a 3.x, so people should be aware that it won't support Maven 2 anymore
- going from 2.x to 3.x should hint that breaking changes might have happened (although people do still send e-mails about plugins suddenly not working after upgrading, without reading release notes about changed and removed parameters)
- some are waiting for a long time for some feature, so having a milestone might help them.
- knowing that it is a milestone should make them aware there are still planned changes before releasing 3.0.0, so take extra care of parameters.

The milestone is a literal milestone: where on the right track, just haven't finished it yet.

Robert

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.
> [...]

> > (or whatever) and add more in 3.1.0, 3.2.0, etc.?
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 6:51 AM Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Elliotte,
> > >
> > > I am also using milestones in Surefire, as you may have noticed, because
> > > the complete work is too big and for one release.
> > > As for instance, milestones are fantastic for the major versions like in
> > > 3.0.0 because it is the only chance when you can break some backwards
> > > compatibility in plugin configuration.
> > > That's our case. For instance the system properties for config parameters
> > > of plugins share the same because they do not have prefixes. So i put the
> > > prefix in the system property and that's what i break, a little. It was
> > > just an example, but this is the principle that i understand and we
> > > untilize it in the milestones.

> > > On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 7:55 PM Elliotte Rusty Harold <

Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: Maven Enforcer Release-3.0.0-M3

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.
Elliote,

Posted by Eric Lilja <mi...@gmail.com>.
I guess the reasoning goes something like this: "I am a plugin developer,
and I want to release a number of changes, a sub-set of which are "breaking
changes". Since all my changes are not ready at the same time and I want to
avoid releasing several major versions close to each other (assuming
semantic versioning is used), I use milestones, to lead up to next major".

- Eric L

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.
I'm a little nervous about this is being messages to and being
understood by developers. How stable is a milestone release? If it's
not stable, they shouldn't be seeing as abroad an adoption as they
are. If it is stable, then why not give it a full release as 3.0.0.
(or whatever) and add more in 3.1.0, 3.2.0, etc.?

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 6:51 AM Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Elliotte,
>
> I am also using milestones in Surefire, as you may have noticed, because
> the complete work is too big and for one release.
> As for instance, milestones are fantastic for the major versions like in
> 3.0.0 because it is the only chance when you can break some backwards
> compatibility in plugin configuration.
> That's our case. For instance the system properties for config parameters
> of plugins share the same because they do not have prefixes. So i put the
> prefix in the system property and that's what i break, a little. It was
> just an example, but this is the principle that i understand and we
> untilize it in the milestones.

> On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 7:55 PM Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>
> wrote:
>
> > What is the significance of the M2/M3 classifier in the version
> > string? It's not obvious to me whether this is a release version or
> > not.
> >
> > Is there a reason not to call this simply 3.0.0 or 3.0.1?
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 1:50 PM Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've seen there are a lot of fixes in the meantime in the current state
> > > so I would like to cut a release and the end of the week.
> > >
> > > So if someone has any objections please raise your hand.
> > >
> > > Kind regards
> > > Karl Heinz Marbaise

> > --
> > Elliotte Rusty Harold
> > elharo@ibiblio.org

Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: Maven Enforcer Release-3.0.0-M3

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.
Hi Elliotte,

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Elliotte,

On 11.11.19 19:55, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> What is the significance of the M2/M3 classifier in the version
> string? It's not obvious to me whether this is a release version or
> not.

This is a milestone which is not finally the whole work intended to be
done for 3.0.0 which will take more time todo but the last release is a
little bit too long ago...so the -M3 release contains already fixed
issues which bothers people...just reading/hearing the community.

The final work can be done without bothering the people for issues which
already have been fixed. That make them happy.

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.
What is the significance of the M2/M3 classifier in the version
string? It's not obvious to me whether this is a release version or
not.

Is there a reason not to call this simply 3.0.0 or 3.0.1?

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 1:50 PM Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've seen there are a lot of fixes in the meantime in the current state
> so I would like to cut a release and the end of the week.
>
> So if someone has any objections please raise your hand.
>
> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise

Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org