Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Regis LOWE <Re...@insa-lyon.fr> on 2002/05/20 10:22:21 UTC

FOREIGN LANGUAGE: PARSING XML

Hi,
There is a problem when parsing xml with foreign language character, for
instance:
Parsing :
<message>dossier de élévage à porcs </message>

produces :
dossier de ?vage ?orcs

What’s wrong ?

Cheers.

Re: FOREIGN LANGUAGE: PARSING XML

Posted by Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net>.
On Mon, 20 May 2002, Regis LOWE wrote:

> Hi,
> There is a problem when parsing xml with foreign language character, for
> instance:
> Parsing :
> <message>dossier de élévage à porcs </message>
>
> produces :
> dossier de ?vage ?orcs
>
> What’s wrong ?

Hi Regis,

Are you using JSTL or something else?  Could I see an example of an entire
page, in context, with the <%@ page %> directive?

--
Shawn Bayern
"JSP Standard Tag Library"   http://www.jstlbook.com

RE: FOREIGN LANGUAGE: PARSING XML

Posted by Pete Freitag <pf...@cfdev.com>.
Try adding the encoding attribute to the XML declaration

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>

If that doesn't work you may need to escape the special characters with
their code (for what ever encoding your using unicode, etc) you can do that
like this... &#000; where 000 is the character code.

Pete Freitag (pfreitag@cfdev.com)
CFDEV.COM
Web Developer Resources
http://www.cfdev.com/
 Check out ActivEdit a WYSIWYG HTML Editor that works like a Textarea
 http://www.cfdev.com/activedit/