Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com> on 2011/11/28 13:23:33 UTC

Piracy - Fwd: [documentation-dev] look this please

Anybody know who pursues pirates like this? --/tj/

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<de...@acm.org> wrote:
> I agree that "pirate" is the wrong term.
>
> The button on the page linked in the complaint downloads a file of only 248kB
> named OpenOfficeSetup.exe.  It is not exactly an OO.o download.
>
> It has a digital signature in the name of appbundler.com and it checks as a
> Verisign Class 3 Code Signing 2010 CA cert. A quick check with Microsoft
> Security Essentials does not detect the file as malware.  It has the usual
> installer icon.
>
> Using Windows XP SP3 in a VM, I ran the program in the Windows XP Run As ...
> restricted-privilege mode.  I was rewarded with the attached message.
>
> Since the digital signature checks OK on the file, the message itself is
> suspect.
>
> A quick web search on "appbundler.com" reveals an extensive reputation for
> distributing adware.
>
> Using Jotti's malware scan, <http://virusscan.jotti.org/en>, there were 12 out
> of 20 detections of malware.  The indications were for
>
>  Adware.Screensave.e
>  ADWARE/Adware.Gen
>  Gen:Variant.Adware.Hotbar.2

Cool.  Thanks for giving that a try.  This does not look like the
proper use of the trademarks, any more than adding sand to a Hershey
bar and then giving it away to unsuspecting children while calling it
a Hershey bar would be acceptable.

I recall seeing the same download site linked to

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 7:23 AM, TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> Anybody know who pursues pirates like this? --/tj/

Found a variant of this URL:

http://galleries.secure-softwaremanager.com/82469bc3bc/854191c9b918/?affid=1343

This version was the main link promoted by a "Download OpenOffice"
Facebook page that was around for a while, but is now gone ;-)

I've seen similar links sent as spam via Twitter.

Note the "affid" parameter in the URL.  This suggests that not only is
someone creating adulterated version of OpenOffice bloated with
adware, but they are promoting this via a network of affiliates.  This
is like the Hydra with the hundred heads.

-Rob