Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@hp.com> on 2003/09/22 22:12:05 UTC

Questions about o.a.g.client.Launcher

Hi,

During the past weekend I worked on o.a.g.client.Launcher. Here are the
questions I could not answer. Appreciate any help with them.

1/ Why are there duplicated schemas? For example:
application-client_1_4.xsd is in ./modules/core/src/schema/ and
./modules/xbeans/src/schema.

2/ Once I went through the first checks (required params, working dir,
MANIFEST.MF with Main-Class and finally an empty - in terms of XML -
geronimo-application-client.xml file) the following error poped up:

Warning: validation was turned on but an org.xml.sax.ErrorHandler was not
set, which is probably not what is desired.  Parser will use a default
ErrorHandler to print the first 10 errors.  Please call
the 'setErrorHandler' method to fix this.
Error: URI=null Line=4: cvc-elt.1: Cannot find the declaration of
element 'application-client'.

Here's application-client.xml:

<!--
   - modules/core/src/schema/geronimo-application-client.xsd
   -->
<application-client version="1.4"/>

3/ I'm wondering if introducing a java parameter would be a solution to
lower importance of the working directory and change the following line:

[o.a.g.client.Launcher:146]
    mletURL = new URL("file:src/conf/client.mlet");

Where would the change go - a batch file or Lancher itself or both?

And the last but not least, a change (patch) to Launcher is in JIRA
(GERONIMO-91).

-Jacek

RE: Questions about o.a.g.client.Launcher

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <je...@coredevelopers.net>.

History (yes, already) :)
The one in core is the main version, the other was part of James's
investigation of xml binding.

> 2/ Once I went through the first checks (required params, working dir,
> MANIFEST.MF with Main-Class and finally an empty - in terms of XML -
> geronimo-application-client.xml file) the following error poped up:
>
> Warning: validation was turned on but an org.xml.sax.ErrorHandler was not
> set, which is probably not what is desired.  Parser will use a default
> ErrorHandler to print the first 10 errors.  Please call
> the 'setErrorHandler' method to fix this.
> Error: URI=null Line=4: cvc-elt.1: Cannot find the declaration of
> element 'application-client'.
>
> Here's application-client.xml:
>
> <!--
>    - modules/core/src/schema/geronimo-application-client.xsd
>    -->
> <application-client version="1.4"/>

The geronimo one should include all the standard metadata - I've attached
all the stuff from META-INF from my (simple) test app.

> 3/ I'm wondering if introducing a java parameter would be a solution to
> lower importance of the working directory and change the following line:
>
> [o.a.g.client.Launcher:146]
>     mletURL = new URL("file:src/conf/client.mlet");
>
> Where would the change go - a batch file or Lancher itself or both?

Personally, I'm not a great believer in needing a batch/shell script to wrap
every application. In this case, the default location provided there should
really become a resource (because there should be little need to modify the
boot mlet) that can be overridden using a system property.

Ultimately, the usage should be something like:
launcher.jar <path-to-client-jar> [<app-arg>]*
launcher.jar -ear <path-to-ear> <module-name> [<app-arg>]*

where the paths can be filenames or network locations. We may need to have
additional options but I haven't got that far yet.

> And the last but not least, a change (patch) to Launcher is in JIRA
> (GERONIMO-91).

I saw - I will apply this.

Having a simple AppClient container should make life easier for client apps
(both heavy GUIs and simple command line utilities). Any feedback is
appreciated.

Cheers
Jeremy