Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/02 20:46:03 UTC

[Maven reorg] Velocity projects reorganized

Hi all
this is just to let you know that I've finished reorganizing all
Velocity projects. I left only the DocBook framework since it is not a
project, but a directory layout useful to build your documents based
on DocBook.
For produced builds see:
http://people.apache.org/builds/velocity/

A snapshot of all projects are in Maven snapshot repository.

At this point I hope to receive some feedback from you and, if you
like it, maybe we can start a vote thread to move projects from the
sandbox to the trunk.

Thanks
Antonio

Re: [Maven reorg] Velocity projects reorganized

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2010/9/10 Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net>:
> Thanks. I guess we shouldn't wait too long for the migration, otherwise the
> merge will quickly become a nightmare...

I agree but I wish that the merge process is clear for everyone (me
included :-D ).

Posted by Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net>.
Thanks. I guess we shouldn't wait too long for the migration, otherwise
the merge will quickly become a nightmare...

   Claude

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net>.

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2010/9/10 Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>:
>> In the tools subprojects, we had very handy "start.showcase.webapp" and
>> "stop.showcase.webapp" that would start/stop the showcase webapp using Jetty
>> on the configured port. Is there any way to do it using maven?
>
> mvn cargo:start
> to start the application in a Jetty environment.

Obviously it makes sense only in "war" projects, like:
<tools-root>/velocity-tools-examples/velocity-tools-examples-showcase/

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2010/9/10 Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net>:
> Webapps usually gather all their dependencies in WEB-INF/lib. Is there any
> easy way to ask maven to copy somewhere all needed jars, or at least give
> their location in maven cache? Otherwise, this should also be documented.

Yep, simple use the default scope (i.e. "compile") or, at least
"runtime" for the dependency.

Posted by Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net>.
Ok, it seems to works. Engine and tools do compile.

Some questions remaining:

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 3:18 AM, Antonio Petrelli
<an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/9/9 Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>:
>> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 12:27 AM, Antonio Petrelli
>> <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> No, because classes are moved around in various places and in various
>>> subdirectories that it would be too difficult (impossible?) to merge.
>>
>> there aren't that many changes to Engine 2 and Tools 2 since you
>> forked, and they need to be merged in one way or another.  it doesn't
>> have to be svn merge.
>
> I try to explain it better (note that I mean svn merge, and yes, it
> has to be it).
> Merging from the current branch to the sandbox is *easy*, the only
> difficulty is finding the correct source root, since some classes have
> been moved from the main projects to submodules.
> Merging from the sandbox to the branch is *difficult*, because SVN is
> not so smart at identifying code movements. I mean, the merge
> (ideally) should port the fact that a piece of code *moved*.
>
> So I would like to (svn) merge from the branch to the sandbox and then
> moving the branch to archive and move the sandboxed project to the
> place where the branch was.

That sounds fine to me.  I just wanted to be sure that recent work was
not lost. :)

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Antonio Petrelli
<an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/9/8 Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>:
>> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Antonio Petrelli
>> <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> For me it's essentially the same, as long as we schedule the move to a
>>> correct codebase management, i.e. trunk for the most advanced
>>> codebase, branches for maintenance.
>>
>> a good point, though the Engine trunk is not maintenance (yet), it's
>> 1.x development, at least until 1.7 final is out.  after that, we can
>> see if anyone wants to develop a 1.8 or not.  but for Tools, i
>> concede.  The trunk should be copied to a 2.0.x branch and then
>> upgraded to 2.1-SNAPSHOT for mavenization.
>
> So do you think I can rephrase this way?
> 2. Move "trunk" of Tools to a maintenance branch.
> 3. Move non mavenized projects (2.x branch of Engine, 2.1.x branch of
> Tools, "trunk" for the rest) to archive.
> 4. Move sandboxed projects in the place of the 2.x branch of Engine
> and "trunk" for the rest.

why not just this?

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
No, we're not definitely not mavenizing the Engine trunk, only the 2.x
branch (which can probably lose the "exp" moniker by now).  Also, we
should not mavenize the Tools trunk, but create a 2.1.x branch for
that.  The trunk is probably fine for the rest the projects.

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Subject:[VOTE] Promote mavenized Velocity projects to trunk

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Antonio Petrelli
<an...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Can you make an example, or tell me where to see? I missed this point.
>>
>> sure, in Engine, call the ant release.howto and publish.howto targets
>
> Ah echos! It is possible with... Antrun plugin! :-D

works for me :)

> Anyway, reading the readme.howto directions, most of them are
> automatically done when calling:
> mvn release:prepare
> and
> mvn release:perform
> In particular, tagging, signing, moving to the next version,
> publishing to Nexus and to people.apache.org are automatically done.

most, but not all.

> RAT check can be attached, if we want.

that would be good.

> Anyway, what difference do you see in reading this text and reading an
> HTML page like this?
> http://tiles.apache.org/framework/dev/release.html

yeah, the Tiles release page is great, but one requires me to go look,
the other is spit out in front of my face.   the page is great for
details and full info, the echo is great for reminding.  not
essential, but very helpful.

>>> It is possible (I've already done it with Tiles) however I forgot to put it.
>>> Did you publish any of these OSGi-ready packages, so I can configure
>>> the plugin correctly?
>>
>> yeah, i think both Engine 1.6.4 and 1.7-beta1 supported it, though
>> with different techniques, IIRC.  The Engine's build uses Spring's
>> Bundlor ant task for it.  I think some osgi stuff was in Tools 2 also.
>
> Sorry to contradict you, but I see it only in 1.7-beta1. Anyway it is
> pretty straightforward, it's easy to configure with the Maven Felix
> plugin.

oh, don't ever apologize for contradicting me.  i like facts better
than my opinions. :)

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 12:37 AM, Antonio Petrelli
<an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/8/31 Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>:
>>  But at this point, you'll have my support in a
>> vote for moving this into the Engine 2.0, Tools 2.1, etc, with one
>> condition:  documentation.  With the proliferation of artifacts and
>> their various reasons and dependencies, we need some very
>> user-friendly "Which Jar Is For Me?" type of documentation for users.
>
> Ok I will work on it.

cool, but i'd wait for consensus on moving this way before you put in
more work on it.

>> We also need to be sure that you aren't the only one who understands
>> how this customized, complicated Maven build works.
>
> This is fairly standard, the "complication" is only in the number of artifacts.
> OTOH I must say that Ant builds are much more complicated when seen
> for the first time, because everyone uses his style of coding.

that's good to hear!

>>  And finally, i
>> don't know if maven can do this, but one of my current favorite parts
>> of the Velocity and VelocityTools build files is that they spit out
>> customized directions for building and publishing releases right along
>> with the target output, including what documentation to be sure and
>> update.  That really helps to keep me on track when i'm doing
>> releases.
>
> Can you make an example, or tell me where to see? I missed this point.

sure, in Engine, call the ant release.howto and publish.howto targets

>> Also, i'm curious whether any of these builds include OSGi manifest
>> creation?  That's a recent addition to some of our builds (just engine
>> and tools at this point, i think), that i don't want to lose.
>
> It is possible (I've already done it with Tiles) however I forgot to put it.
> Did you publish any of these OSGi-ready packages, so I can configure
> the plugin correctly?

yeah, i think both Engine 1.6.4 and 1.7-beta1 supported it, though
with different techniques, IIRC.  The Engine's build uses Spring's
Bundlor ant task for it.  I think some osgi stuff was in Tools 2 also.

>> All in all, this is great work, and i'm excited to see us move in a
>> more standard direction for our next versions.  I am very sorry that
>> it took me so long to respond, and i hope you aren't too discouraged
>> that no one else has responded yet.
>
> No problem, when I've nothing to do, there's Tiles that keeps me busy :-P

:)

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.