Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Paul Aphivantrakul <ap...@gmail.com> on 2021/01/15 16:34:42 UTC

Start with Fineract 1.x or Fineract CN?

Hello,

To a newcomer doing a fintech startup, does the community recommend
starting with the Fineract 1.x software or the Fineract CN software? I
would say that to me, security and maturity of the software are more
important than having a large and rich set of features as my startup will
likely focus on offering a limited set of financial services at the
beginning. I have also noticed that there is a lot more documentation for
Fineract 1.x and also a lot more developers contributing to the Fineract
1.x repository than on the Fineract CN repository. At this point, I am
leaning more towards using Fineract 1.x, but I also like the modular aspect
of Fineract CN.

Thank you,

Paul

Re: Start with Fineract 1.x or Fineract CN?

Posted by Giorgio Zoppi <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hello Paul,
i have always had the strong feeling that fineract-cn needs a rewrite.
There is an effort to rewrite in https://github.com/muellners/finscale-API.
From my side i have just started a project in Go (
https://github.com/giorgiozoppi/neobank-scale) that aims to provide a
better backend for our https://github.com/openMF/digital-bank-ui   Digital
Bank UI maintaining the same api,
because i strongly believe  that *less is more*. Java projects tend to be
overengineered and Spring Boot is too heavy memory consuming (
https://micronaut.io/blog/2020-04-07-micronaut-vs-quarkus-vs-spring-boot-performance-jdk-14.html
)
My plan is to use less code possible while maintaining the same api and
using more serverless and aws code possible.
So for a startup at the moment, I will opt for Fineract 1.x. However we had
recently in a project in Mexico, success with fineract-cn, maybe the people
involved can help you better.
Best Regards,
Giorgio

Re: Start with Fineract 1.x or Fineract CN?

Posted by Michael Vorburger <mi...@vorburger.ch>.
Giancarlo, re. "Is there a fork of fineract 1.x that is actively
developed?" : Fineract 1.x *IS* actively maintained, on
https://github.com/apache/fineract - in the sense that there are active
maintainers reviewing new contributions from parties interested in seeing
it thrive, ready to invite new committers if anyone worthwhile emerges,
etc. That is the open source way. It does NOT mean "free as in beer", if
you know what I mean (otherwise, look it up online). Some people
unfortunately are sometimes a little confused about how this all really
works... ;-) Forks away from the main project only serve the 1 forked party
instead of the overall community, and do not contribute to the project.

Posted by Saransh Sharma <sa...@muellners.com>.

Posted by Paul Aphivantrakul <ap...@gmail.com>.
Thank you everyone for your responses.

Paul