Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kevin HaleBoyes <kc...@yahoo.com> on 2001/12/14 18:01:53 UTC

Tomcat-as-an-NT-service startup failure

I just installed j2sdk1.3.1, Tomcat4, and the IIS redirector stuff
posted by Andrew Bruno.  It all seems to work fine except on the
initial startup of the machine.  If I manually start the Tomcat
service then everything works great but when I reboot the machine,
the Tomcat service _fails_ to start.  I get the following message
in the application section of the Event Viewer: "The Java Virtual
Machine has exited with a code of 1, the service is being stopped".

But, like I said above, I can then go into the service admin program
and start Tomcat. Does anyone have any idea why the JVM is exiting
or how I can find out what it all means (what is code 1)?

I'm using the latest jdk, tomcat, redirector on Win2K
 (+sp1+hot patches).

Thanks,
Kevin.

Re: Tomcat-as-an-NT-service startup failure

Posted by Kevin HaleBoyes <kc...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for your help Andrew.

First to answer some of the points made:
I didn't install the jk_nt_service component since Tomcat already worked
as a service.  Ie., I could start and stop it from the NT service manager.

I only have one JDK installed on the machine though there is also a JRE
installed.  Tomcat, during installation, identified the JDK properly.

I uninstalled Tomcat from the machine and started again.  This time
I rebooted after (almost) every step.  The result:  Tomcat now starts
properly as a service at boot time!  I don't know why there is a difference
based on the number of times I rebooted during the install!  Tomcat can
also serve content when I access it directly on the 8080 port.

I do still have one problem though.
I can't get the redirection between IIS and Tomcat to work properly.

I added the "jakarta" virtual directory
(points to bin\native in the Tomcat installation directory) and I ensured
that execute permission is enabled.  The isapi_redirect.dll exists in the
bin\native directory.

I also added the ISAPI filter (isapi_redirect.dll) using the IIS manager
and it shows up with the green arrow.  I also enabled the AJP connector in
the server.xml file and set the following in the uriworkermap.properties
file:
 default.worker=ajp13
 /*.jsp=$(default.worker)

When I access a jsp page I get the following error in the IIS log files:

2002-01-07 17:55:59 192.168.0.173 - 196.32.42.57 80 GET
/jakarta/isapi_redirect.dll - 404
Mozilla/5.0+(Windows;+U;+Windows+NT+5.0;+en-US;+rv:0.9.7)+Gecko/20011221

I get that message and then a whole bunch of garbage (ascii barf) with some
recognizable text:

ATETIME_FORMATS@@AAE@ABV0@@Z ??0EXTLOG_DATETIME_CACHE@@QAE@XZ
??0HASH_TABLE@@QAE@ABV0@@Z ??0HTTP_HEADERS@@QAE@XZ ??0HT_ELEMENT@@QAE@ABV0@@Z
??0HT_ELEMENT@@QAE@XZ ??0IIS_CTL@@QAE@ABV0@@Z ??0IIS_SERVER_CERT@@QAE@ABV0@@Z
??0IIS_SERVICE@@QAE@ABV0@@Z ??0IIS_SSL_INFO@@QAE@ABV0@@Z
??0LOGGING@@QAE@ABV0@@Z ??0MULTISZ@@QAE@ABV0@@Z ??0MULTISZ@@QAE@PADK@Z
??0MULTISZ@@QAE@PBD@Z ??0MULTISZ@@QAE@XZ ??0PARAM_LIST@@QAE@XZ
??0STR@@QAE@ABV0@@Z ??0STR@@QAE@K@Z ??0STR@@QAE@PADK@Z ??0STR@@QAE@PBD@Z
??0STR@@QAE@XZ ??0TS_RESOURCE@@QAE@XZ ??0W3_DATETIME_CACHE@@QAE@XZ
??1ADDRESS_CHECK@@QAE@XZ ??1ASCLOG_DATETIME_CACHE@@UAE@XZ
??1BUFFER_CHAIN@@QAE@XZ ??1BUFFER_CHAIN_ITEM@@QAE@XZ
??1CACHED_DATETIME_FORMATS@@UAE@XZ ??1DICTIONARY_MAPPER@@UAE@XZ
??1EXTLOG_DATETIME_CACHE@@UAE@XZ ??1HASH_TABLE@@UAE@XZ ??1HTTP_HEADERS@@QAE@XZ
??1HTTP_HEADER_MAPPER@@UAE@XZ ??1HT_ELEMENT@@UAE@XZ ??1MULTISZ@@QAE@XZ
??1PARAM_LIST@@QAE@XZ ??1STR@@QAE@XZ ??1TS_RESOURCE@@QAE@XZ
??1W3_DATETIME_CACHE@@UAE@XZ ??

I'm not sure where to go from here so any help and or comments
would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin.