Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Perry 'Johnny' Levine <pe...@netscape.net> on 2015/10/05 11:49:10 UTC

DATE ISSUE in OpenOffice Spreadsheet

There seems to be an issue of how some1900 dates are being stored in the OpenOffice spreadsheet.

It is my understanding that dates are stored with spreadsheet as a serial number starting with 01/01/1900
being stored as a '1'.

When 01/01/1900 is looked at as a general number format in OpenOffice it appears as '2' versus a '1'.
When 02/01/1900 is looked at as a general number format in OpenOffice is appears as '33' versus '32'.
When 12/31/1900 is looked at as a general number format in OpenOffice it appears as '366' which would be correct
since 1900 is a leap year.

12/31/1900 is the stored as the correct serial number because 02/29/1900 is not considered a valid date in
OpenOffice and therefore 03/01/1900 is stored as a '61' which is correct and the following dates are stored
correct for 1900.

Will look at other years which are leap years to see if similar problem exists.

Re: DATE ISSUE in OpenOffice Spreadsheet

Posted by "F C. Costero" <fj...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 11:02 AM, Oliver Brinzing <Ol...@gmx.de>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > There seems to be an issue of how some1900 dates are being stored in the
> OpenOffice spreadsheet.
>
>> It is my understanding that dates are stored with spreadsheet as a serial
>> number starting with 01/01/1900
>> being stored as a '1'.
>> When 01/01/1900 is looked at as a general number format in OpenOffice it
>> appears as '2' versus a '1'.
>>

> The default starting date is 30 December 1899 = 0
> please see
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/How_Tos/Calc:_Date_%26_Time_functions
>
> Regards
> Oliver

> Part of the confusion is that 1900 was not a leap year. Years that are
multiples of 100 are not leap years unless they are also multiples of 400.
That is to account for the actual year being slightly less than 365.25 days
and is the difference between the Gregorian calendar and the earlier Julian
calendar.. Not all spreadsheets get that right.
Best regards,
Francis

Re: DATE ISSUE in OpenOffice Spreadsheet

Posted by Oliver Brinzing <Ol...@gmx.de>.
Hi,